X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fiddler is finished

Did the old fiddler win the contest?

The fiddlers name was Paul Lewis but was known to all as just "Uncle Paul"
    He lived in the higher mountains way up high,where they said the trees reached the sky.

He was a short man at only five foot two but a real mountain man as everyone knew.He could make his fiddle sing like the birds in early spring. He had no wife but when he wasnt playing his fiddle he was carving toys with his olde case pocket knive.

He would carve dolls,funny animals and toys which brought the mountain children such joy. No matter how deep was the snow or how cold,on Christmas eve down the mountain he would go. He would leave on the porches a few toys in a bag to keep the poor children from being so sad.

At Coon's Creek at the fiddlers contest everyone knew Uncle Paul was the best. When the contest was over the judges brought Uncle Paul a ribbon of blue and everyone knew what he would do. "Awww" "Im not worth all that as he tipped his little derby hat." Just save it for next year he would reply as he walked away with his old dog by his side.

In church that Sunday, We all looked around but Uncle Paul wasnt to be found? The preacher shorted his preaching that day as five of us men headed on our way. It was hard climbing up to Uncle Pauls cabin and around the lake but we rushed fearing it might be too late.
    As we opened his door,there was Uncle Paul laying on the floor.With his fiddle and knive by his side,sure enough our Uncle Paul had died.

We carried him down the mountain back to the church below,we had him covered with his quilt to keep off the snow.
    He was placed on a table past the front row and his fiddle where it would show.
    People came from miles away hearing Uncle Paul had pasted away.

The next day, he was placed on the church's hill while people of hundreds stood still. The crys and tears fell in the snow,it was hard for us all to let him go. Children with his carved toys that was so neat,laid them at his feet.

Mr. T.J. Parker had a box in his hand which he took 38 blue ribbons over the years he'd saved and laid them on Uncle Paul's grave.

F.L.H. 2007

This 11 1/2" X 17 1/2 " carving was deeper relief carved. It took me longer than I knew to finish him but I enjoyed creativing him and at times I could hear his music{LOL} I hope everyone thats followed him from the start till now has enjoyed viewing him. His stings on the bow,I made from sewing thread. A Carving or any type of art work has a theme or story and above is how I saw this olde fiddler! I will be posting larger picts on the Carvers Galleries. Thanks again for your thoughts and commments~
    TnArtist

Re: The Fiddler is finished

The story makes it that much better.
    This may be the best I've seen from you. Wonderful paint on it, and I truly enjoy the depth of the message. The strings worked out really well too.
    Thor
    Steve

Comment

tnartist05,

looks great i like the carving and the painting, the finish really makes the peice.

bart

Comment

the carving is great especally when attached to the story,
        its hard to do honor in memory of someone like this man in the story,
        keep the story on the back covered with some varnish for all to read..

great job, but the carving progress was hard to follow through the different threads,

Comment

Outstanding work!

Comment

Thank you Bart~ Im glad you liked this old fiddler once I finally got him carved and totally painted.

Comment

Gergie,Im glad you enjoyed this carving! Thks for your input!

Comment

TN, i kinda feel sorry for what i said about staining the carving. The story and the carving are both beautiful and if you wrote that story yourself it makes it even more heartwarming. feb

Comment

Thanks for your advise Thomp about haven the little story I wrote about the olde fiddler on the back of the board.I will do that. Ive not posted alot on the messager board and really hate if it was hard to follow the carving in its progress. I will try to correct this in the future. Heck,Im just learning things and hope to improve with my carving & posting. I sure value your opinion! Thks again~

Comment

Feb,The more this old fiddler came to life,I found myself thinking as I painted him. I have seen some older gentleman that were great fiddler players and Uncle Paul was just a name that I was calling this carving in my mind. Sat. I wrote the story but thinking I had saved it to a draft,I found out this morning it was deleted! Soooooooooo,I had to think and compose another story and try in make it rhyme. Least I dont talk to myself!! {{Hehee LOL}} But all in all carving,painting plus writting a story about him was really fun to me! Thks Feb,Im glad you could appreciate not only the carving but what a real man he was from my story.

Comment

Beautiful work, just beautiful, so is the Story
                      Thanks for sharing
                      Alice
                      www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
                      www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
                      www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Tenn.. absolutely beautiful .. your painting on this one amazes me .. What a beautiful portrait and a wonderful carving ... That one is definately a keeper ..
                        Great job
                        Gene

Comment

Tnartist;
                          Great job on the carving and painting.
                          Mark N. Akers
                          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Tn,
                            Thanks so much for sharing both the carving and your story......can hear the fiddle, and I'm tapping my feet to his tune.
                            John

Comment

Beautiful carving and a beautiful story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing.

Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X