grapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grapes

Just started these grapes for a cross I have a commission to do. The cross is in mahogany with inlays of maple forming grape vines and leaves across the horizontal bar and a sheaf of wheat going up the verticle bar. This cluster of grapes will be in the center.This obviously represents the body,bread and wine,,and is also a reference to the scripture passages.The four terminal points of the cross will be carved ,three pointed grape leaves representing the Trinity.These grapes are done in hard maple,,not exactly fun to carve,but the creamy white color of these and the other inlays will contrast nicely with the mahogany when finished.Thought you might enjoy a quick look as these are in the roughout stage. Someone at some time on some post asked about carving spheres,,here's how I'm doing them,,,basically done with a #7 and a #5,,,and a narrow #2 for poking in the corners,the grapes being about 1/2 inch.

Re: grapes

OOOOO! This is gonna look good when it's all done and put together! Please show us the final piece.

As for the grapes in progress, slap some paint on them and they're good enough to eat!!

Comment

Mark .. I have never done this type of work or know much about it .. but your pieces amaze me .. so realistic and pleasing to look at .. What a great start for what's going to be a excellent looking piece ..

Comment

hi mark ! wonderful to follow you carving grapes...these look already tasty, since you put so nice volume on them... thanks for rembering me asking...i still cant do them very good, so watching you might give me some idea :-)

Comment

Wonderful start. I'll be watching the progress too. Thanks Mark.
          Steve

Comment

Mark,
            When I carved my grapes I could tell I was missing ONE tool and I never figured out what, til reading this thread..." a number 2 for poking in the corners"! That would have solved a very big problem for me! I may take a #2 to my garden shed and do a little more work.
            Looking forward to following this thread!
            Wade

Comment

Mark,
              You Are Truly A Good Carver, I Could No More Do That Kind Of Carving Than The Man In The Moon. But You Do A Very Good Job.
              Jim

Comment

Thanks everyone.Grapes are fun to carve.I've done quite a few over the years and seem to have developed a knack for them and these should come out O.K. The whole project is fairly simple,,but should be interesting to look at when done,,, I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Comment

Those are going to be awesome! Can't wait to see the finished piece! ~ Joy

Comment

Working...
                  X