Micro motor for entry level carver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro motor for entry level carver?

Hello, I am Chace an newcomer to this world. Currently my project is building my work bench to begin some work on. Although I have done research on turbine and micro motors. I am leaning towards micro motor for sure. Now I have seen the ram 45 thrown around a lot for a good beginner tool. What is everyone's opinion? What should I go with? Best bang for the dollar? I'm going to be working on a lot of 2x10 style wood in some what of a sign format engraving. Obviously money is always an issue for most blue collar people like myself. Please don't be afraid to give me advice. Good or bad, all is appreciated.

Have a good week and thank you for your time!!

Fireax22, I have both, use them for different things. I use a Mastercarver micro motor, the only thing i have had to do is change the brushes. It is used almost every day for detail and clean up. The Turbine I use primarly for layout work and and highlighting, since it burns unless your awfully careful, But with .03mm, it is great to transferring your pattern to your work.

Thank you for chosen field of work.

. . . JoeB
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Not really a micro unit, but if I was starting out, I would get a Dremel, a flex shaft and the reciprocating hand piece. Dremel about $90, the flex shaft about $25 and the reciprocating hand piece about $50. I have had mine for years, I have replaced the brushes and it still works fine.

Comment

Here is what I like but I have a nice little battery driven unit but my Dremel shaft tools large and small work just fine. But maintenance and replacement of parts IS A PAIN and cost money. Start with a web search on flex shaft then look here

Comment

I have the Wecheer brand of the micro motor. https://www.amazon.com/WeCheer-High-.../dp/B0039ZGL92 They also make the big units like Foredom does. I don't use it enough to say if it will hold up to daily use. I know I cannot hog out wood like I do with the big Wecheer https://www.amazon.com/Wecheer-Flexi...ywords=Wecheer

About a year or so ago someone did a review of 3 models of the hanging down power head units. The off the wall brands. You might search that and see if you can find his recommendations.

Comment

Found it. https://8b4dcd02a778-002780.vbulleti...ex-shaft-tools

Comment

I have a Ram 45 that I use primarily for finishing work and finer details. I like the hand piece and the ease of changing bits, but I find it too delicate for bigger work. It is great for what I use it for, but larger pieces and larger bits are used in one of my hanging flex-shaft tools. The flex-shafts have plenty of power and durability but you have to work around the constraints of the shaft. The Ram is more my finishing tool, after I have used the bigger tools to do most of the work. Hope this helps!
              'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
              http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am not a fan of micro motors, as they are what I call a light weight machine and easy to break. Like Mike said,,,,, great for finish work of details but not for large works. Great for beginning but not for long term work in my opinion. A lot of 2 by 10 foot work? will not be able to handle the work load, and you will have to invest into a air compressor engraver which is big money investment. An engraver will do lots of work and at a professional level, a flex shaft can not do this kind of fine line work although it is good to have a flex shaft also.......The worst thing about power equipment each tool has its can dos and can not dos....and not one of those it can do all things. Each tool is specialized for different kinds of work. I have two Ram micro motors and a few Chinese ones, I also have the air compressor engravers which can engrave and four flex shafts and when I am doing engraved work, I use all three. But just beginning I would start with a cheap micro motor and see if I like the work before any kind of investment is made. And noted I would not cry when the sucker breaks. I have lost lots of money thinking I would use one tool for all things....just did not happen. Just one person opinion.
                . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I've got the foredom,...it's a champ.

Comment

I use the Foredom with a flex shaft for heavy work of roughing out carvings. I use the ram for detailing And cleanup work. Both are great for what they do. I like having a foot pedal for the Foredom, but not the Ram.
                    Donna_T
                    IMG_1914.JPG
                    From Missouri

Comment

I would highly recommend you check out 'Canyon State Dental Supplies,although this is a dental supplier,
                      they sell micro motors made by the same company that manufactures Foredom Micro Motors but go by
                      the name of Marathon. I purchased on of these units over seven years ago and it is still going strong,
                      this company is great to deal with. BIG PLUS, their prices are much less expensive and no I don't
                      work for them, I just can't afford to pay high prices when I can get the same thing for less.
                      Oscar

Comment

I tried finding Canyon State Dental Supplies, but no luck searching online. Does anybody know if they are still in business?

Comment

Lynxlady, I searched for them also and found that they are permanently closed.

Comment

The thing about power carving is mostly the "bits & burrs" that actually do the work. I think you will be fine with most any brand of motor and all the one mentioned here are fine. Make sure to post pictures of your work we love that.

Comment

I just completed my Micro Motor research and discovered what, companies
                              manufactures Micro Motors that are originally manufactured for Dental Supply
                              Companies and are still doing so for Countries that can't afford to purchase the
                              'Modern Day Dental Pneumatic' dental drills. All Micro Motors are manufactured
                              in South Korea. Check out South Korean Dental Supplies Companies. The one
                              that really caught my attention was; Fuzhow Li, Electronic Tech! They Privately
                              manufacture Micro Motors for all Carving Suppliers sold in the USA! I almost fell
                              off my chair when I discovered their prices and my research stopped there! I'm still
                              'stunned' by their prices! That's when my research stopped as I have one to many
                              micro motors of my own.
                              Oscar

Comment

Working...
                              X