Need help on replacing a broken collet in my micro-motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on replacing a broken collet in my micro-motor

I have a Mastercarver Micro-Pro Champion micro-motor hand piece that has a broken collet in it. Mastercarver has NOT been of much help except to tell me to send it to their repair center and they will fix it for around $75-$90. I have disassembled the unit but still have not been able to remove the broken collet. I have the wrench and replacement collet. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lincoya; 08-07-2016, 09:19 PM.

Sorry I also had major issues with this unit. With same results .. the unit jams up around the collet and I was unable to remove the bit. I will not ever get another micro motor from them. An that was about four, five years ago....left a bad taste in my mouth. I even....ordered an extra hand piece which was a very bad decision on my behalf as it was also a piece of junk. It was all money that I cashed out as a very bad decision. There is a history with this that goes beyond me.... major complaints that go way back into the forum. I just finally gave up.....mad and bought other micro motors.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I also have Mastercarver Micro-Pro Champion, which I've had for five plus years and have had to problems except for brushes. ?????????
      . . . JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Joe always hear things like this about tools, LOL glad you got one of the good ones! I got this mini grinder from China paid about forty dollars for it and it breaks down all the time but all I have to do is wack it with the screw driver and she works like gold ....going on for seven years. Thing with me,... is I want a manual that tell you how to fix it,.... if it breaks.... like in the good old days,....today,.... they want you to throw the sucker in the trash can and buy a new one......I will not do it anymore. An like I tell the business owner I paid you darn good money the least you can do is stand by your products so I can continue to support your business.
        . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I agree with you on the manuals and prts list, for sure.
          . . . JoeB
          . . .JoeB

Comment

This is not the first problem that I have had with this unit. About one month out of the 1-year warranty I turned the unit on and it ran wide open. I could not control the speed. I contacted them and they told me that I needed to buy a new circuit board so I did and that solved the problem. Now the handpiece. I've had this for 3 1/2 years. I'll never buy another Mastercarver unit again either.

Comment

I have had better luck with Mastercarver than you did, but I'm still not a huge fan when there are better units out there. Mine are pretty old and maybe they were made a little better then, than they are now. I know that they are about half the price now, of what they used to be, a decade or more, ago. I'm a huge fan of Marathon. They have different price levels, so there is probably one everybody can afford. I get them through Canyon State Dental supply. Be sure to use an authorized dealer when you buy a Marathon. There's a guy on eBay who sells them but if you need service, you're out of luck. Recently, I had trouble with one of the Mastercarver handpieces. I thought it was the collet. It suddenly would not fit the 3/32 shaft bits that I'd always used in it. I cleaned it out, I even changed the collet out, but it isn't the collet. I wouldn't invest a dime to fix it. I got 10 years out of it. I'll just buy a Marathon unit to replace it. But removing the collet is always a pain with all the micro motors. It takes me 15 or 20 minutes of turning that little wrench before it finally starts to come out...... and by the way....Marathon and Foredom micro motors, come out of the same factory in Korea. They are identical except for the brand name on them....and the price. You pay for that Foredom name.

Comment

Working...
              X