Foredom TX Motor with Permanent Magnets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foredom TX Motor with Permanent Magnets

Does this mean it's brushless? Old guy, new carver. Looking for more power than a Dremel. The K5400 kit with the new C-SXR foot pedal sounds nice. Wish I could say money is no problem... LOL

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The maintenance kit for that motor includes brushes - so I would say no, it is not brushless. The motor is also a DC motor that the speed control converts the AC to DC for the motor.

Comment

Sam, is that an issue? DC instead of AC? I understand no reverse as well? Will this be an issue? I'm right handed... Any information is really appreciated. I feel like I'm lost with all the choices...

Comment

DC is fine, normally develops lots of torque. You just don't want it running off batteries. DC is easier to set up variable speed and reverse, wonder why this one didn't have reverse? Reverse is nice when the grain changes- then you don't have to switch carving hands. I use a dremel, and it seems to have plenty of power, but I don't ask it to do much heavy weight carving. I use a die grinder for hogging wood, also angle grinder and roto zip. I prefer variable speed and usually no flex shaft.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I like the saburr tooth burrs. They are fantastic. They eat wood, no problem.

Comment

Sam, Thank you again for the information! I'll try the Saburr bits, that should immediately improve wood removal. Several years ago, someone told me to remove all the wood that wasn't part of the carving...

Comment

If you are looking for an inexpensive way to get a flex shaft grinder, I recommend this one from Harbor Freight. It's only $50 and is a little noisier than a Foredom, but it comes with the standard size flex shaft, which means you can buy a Foredom handpiece and use the larger 1/4" burrs. It is a hanging style and the chuck style handpiece it comes with works fine for bits smaller than 1/4". And if you decide to buy a Foredom later (or run across a good deal on a used one), then the foot pedal, hand pieces, shaft, etc. all work with the Foredom also. It does come with an extra set of brushes, but I never had to use them.
              Amazing deals on this Hd Flexible Shaft Grinder/Carver at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.
              'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
              http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you! This will make mama happy. A happy mama is a good thing! Too bad it took me 40 years to figure that out... LOL

Comment

I have a TX it is called a TxH Machine with EMX-1 Cntrl. Have the 25H handpiece and naturally the carving one now. Bought my TX in 2004 . I believe the motor is a 'universal' motor with brushes and can be AC or DC. The EMX is a nice speed control and I'd have to look at it with my scope, but I believe it is proportional that is it responds to the load. Might be frequency or current mode. Martin

Comment

I have three Foredoms.....a SR, TX, and TXH. I like Foredom the best as far as flex shafts. Your flex shafts are better then a Dremel in power but they will not do the heavy duty work ....then you have to go to a die grinder. I will say stay away from the really expensive flex shafts like the ones from Japan...I have the opinion they are to expensive to maintenance. One thing bad about the flex shaft is that the shaft breaks, and later you will have to replace it. Also the Dremel flex shaft is no good....a slight up grade from a Dremel. Foredom bits are ok....but on the expensive side Saburr tooth burrs are the only bit worth getting ....they last.

OK this is straight from the manufacturer.....Blackstone Industries.....go to their site, press Foredom Electric http://www.foredom.net/...they have videos, and download on all their machines. Plus parts when you need them ....on this note at times you can get the machines other places cheaper then from them . One thing good about Foredom you can call them when you got questions or need parts. Unlike other machines service is often a major issue.
                    From Foredom Electric.......Foredoms most powerful flex shaft machines with 1/3HP. They have permanent magnet DC motors that feature the latest in flex shaft technology. These ball bearing models utilize advanced rare earth magnets (in place of the wound fields in our universal type Series SR motors) that deliver more torque at the low end and throughout the entire speed range of 500 to 15,000 RPM.

Comment

I do recommend what Mike said about a cheap one.....although note these flex shaft when broken go into the trash can. Then you just go and buy a new one......sort of like my dremels which I replaced with Black and Decker and newer ones from China are just as good as Dremel if not better AND they are super cheap. If you think you will use the machine.....Foredom is the way to go if you got the money. But if you want to try it out ....go with the Harbor Freight.

Comment

Working...
                      X