anyone wear an apron while power carving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone wear an apron while power carving

I was wondering if anyone wears an apron while carving? is so what type.
    Im new to power carving and I broke my flex shaft cause I caught the fabric arpon

I wear a Leather Apron, for both Power and Knife Carving, and many times,
    I have been so glad that I did wear a leather apron and thumb guards!.
    Oscar

Comment

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a leather welders apron and if you wear gloves on your holding hand, get a pair of leather gloves. The burrs will chew the leather, not grab and wreck the shaft like cotton does.

Comment

I'm not power carving. Pacific Northwest native style crooked carving knives are used commonly with a pull stroke.
        I have bopped myself in the chest a few times, wrecked some good shirts and cut myself a couple of times.

I had a big piece of aircraft canvas from a flight bag. Had an apron made with pockets on the back side so they don't fill up with chips.
        I'm not proud of this but you can see plenty of scrapes where I have hit my apron (which saved both me and my shirt.)
        The canvas is so heavy that if I fold it right, the apron will stand up by itself.

I agree with the suggestions for a leather welder's apron. Kitchen-weight cotton aprons are too thin and flexible.

Comment

I wear a leather apron, too.

Comment

I have a leather apron,.. no I do not wear it often unless using angle grinders......it seems the flex shafts like to get clothing almost anywhere. .....like once it jumped and ran up my arm. But on note I am always checking if the shaft jumps onto you ....what is going to grab? I have my hair back in a pony tail, and a hat is on....but sometimes those hairs crawl out.....and I was leaning over and the flex shaft ripped them out also. I am stopping and checking to always point the direction of the shaft away from the body. The flex shaft loves to eat cotton.....of all kinds, your blue jeans, that t shirt you are wearing, so leather is major need especially if your sitting down and power carving. I had a tooth bit on the dremal darn thing got my blue jeans because I was not careful ...lucky it did not make hamburger meat of my leg but it made a nice big hole in those jeans. ..... I call it too darn busy and too lazy to do the safety thing and I do pay for it at times.

Comment

I've worn more aprons that you could imagine. They were all of the canvas types. I'm going to try a make myself an apron of my own design:
              1. No neck strap, going to sew the bib to a modified pull over shirt.
              2. Will have a belly patch made out of leather.
              3. The side will come around to the back of my legs.
              4. Will have pockets on the backside outside of the sides
              5. There will be pockets on the sleeves.

A pretty good project for a 78-year-old rookie sewer. I have a pair of heavy horse hide gloves I wear while power carving
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Leather belly patch. The scratch pattern now shows where that should be on my apron.
                Might just steal that idea.

The furniture guy that sewed up my canvas apron suggested the pockets at the bottom on the inside. Good plan.
                He also added 2 big pencil/pen slots sideways but inside the left side. Another good idea.

I did a summer carving demo and just about cooked in that thing. I wouldn't want any more of me covered up.

Comment

Thanks, Brian. I want to keep my chest areas clear. with all the lights I now use, pencils have a tendance to get hooked in the shades.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

I use an old kitchen apron for knife carving, because it keeps my clothes cleaner and less chips get tracked into the house. For power carving with Dremel or angle grinder, I have a leather welder's apron and all-leather gloves. I also wear a decent dust protector, safety glasses, and ear protection when power carving. If you look closely at the photo, you can see the nozzle of my shop vac clamped to my work mate and a couple of inches from the carving to suck up some of the dust.
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beadman1

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

The furniture guy who sewed up my apron decided that various pockets would be useful but all on the backside.
                      There's nothing on the front face at all = easily swept off and the canvas doesn't collect much fine dust.
                      The pencil pockets run sideways. The 2 big "junk" pockets are at the bottom edge. Not awkward at all.

Comment

I don't wear an apron when using well anything except BBQ tools. I would think its a good idea and added safety but not cloth I agree with the others on leather

Comment

Leather for both power and hand tools.

Comment

Working...
                          X