Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turtle shell details in very hard wood (advice needed please)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I do not use chainsaws anymore and never did much chain saw shaping......the reason is ....I am 5 foot one now (lost 5 inches in the last six years)....and still shrinking from osteo. And my bones are worst,.....chainsaw needs extreme skill and handling with strong arms....one mistake can really mess you up. I just down sized, gave away my chainsaws to other wood carvers.... because I feel it is no longer safe for me to use them. All my work that I have done the last three years such as turtle and dragon.....is done with the arbor tech, and angle grinders ....takes three times longer but I have no choice. I had hopes of doing extreme large works, in the future.....but atlas the body will not permit it. I have chainsaw artist do my rough out work in the past..... As I age....I am sure I will later give up doing anything large....and stay down at medium small works that do not need super healthy bones to hold the power tools. . There are chainsaw artist although that use these tools...can be found on facebook and there are tons of chainsaw artist on internet video and You Tube......some of them use the chainsaw and die grinder for all their work.....some go down to the extreme details.. Watch videos ......each artist is different in method at times,.... find some one you like. Here is one of the many I find worth watch this is Jordan Anderson.........https://www.musiclessons.com/youtube/watch?v=jjMDgG24Y3U

Comment

Dang. So sorry to hear that. I have shrinking wife in similar situation. I was just talking with one of my concrete artisan friends who can no longer hold his wood carving tools to do neurological damage. Makes you want to thank the stars Every day you can carve something big or small. Thanks for the link to Jordan Anderson,. Just watched the Caribou. Incredible

Comment

Odd Shell shapes had me drawing the scute lines by hand. Got turtle 1 done with gouge . Not too bad For having never played with a gouge.. should get a lot better by turtle 5

Comment

One done, son-of-a-gun, pretty good job JWood.

Tinwood

Comment

Nothing wrong with this one, that is for sure
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Those are just fine. Just keep the gouge sharp. That may require some honing every 30 minutes or less.

Comment

I was at the end of the shell details and had an unfortunate incident (did someting stupid). I am going to post my issue on the Beginners forum, where I belong.

Comment

Working...
                X