Power engraver questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power engraver questions

Hello, I'm new here with a question. I recently got a Russian made power engraver/carver. I wanted to try out carving before investing in more $$$ tools. It says it needs oiled with a spray oil, but there were no instructions as to where it gets oiled and or what type of oil. Would chainsaw spray oil work? It' a turbine carver with 2 pipes at top. One for air, naturally. I assume it would be taken apart to be oiled. How often should it be lubed? Thanks!

The turbine carvers that require oil require a light oil designed high speed tools. I would not think chain saw oil is what you want to use. Have you looked on you tube? If you know the name of the tool you may be able to find a video on its use. Most of the newer such tools are oil free. Look close at the area where you air supply attaches to your hand piece there may be a very small hole on the air tube. That could be for the oil. But I would not use it until you can fine answers to you question.
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

oil.jpgI use an oil for engravers purchased from Lew Jensen who designs and makes the engravers.....from Profitable Hobbies. Engraving systems needs tons of learning stuff, you need to clean your hand pieces and care for everything.....they have videos and books also. I had to buy a major dvd system to learn the whole deal....tons of learning. Engraving systems cost big money.....but worth the major investment. They will also give you information over the phone.
      This is the oil I use. All oils must be pure and special made for engravers....this cost about 12 dollars plus shipping..... High Grade Oil for the use on the 8oz. of High Speed Spindle Lubrication for use in the engraving Handpieces. Also use to clean and flush the Turbine.
      Last edited by Dileon; 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

A picture might help;
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Sorry I can not get my links to work..... so go to You Tube and this is the heading.
          oil regulator.jpgFilter – Regulator – Lubricator Set Up and Why You Should Use One

A filter – regulator – lubricator unit (abbreviated FRL) is an important part of your high speed engraving system. It performs three important functions:

1. Filter the air before it is delivered downstream to your handpiece.

2. Regulate the air pressure before it gets to your handpiece.

3. Lubricate the air traveling to your handpiece (unless you are using an oil free handpiece).

Filter - Regulator - Lubricator for Engraving

I have filter regulators ....that hold the oil and they spray the oil into the hand piece for the engravers that need oil. I was helped also by a few members in here with problems...like Denny who I have not seen for awhile.
          Last edited by Dileon; 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

handpiece-.jpgthis is what most handpieces look like at the top. The very top part is to push the bit or burr out and it just pushes down. The round side piece is put that clear tube ( in picture of filter/regulator)....the clear tube fits over the top of the round hole fitting and the other end of tube fits into the filter regulator. The filter regulator other side fits into a larger tube that goes to your compressor. .

Comment

High speed turbines use advanced bearings and the smallest dirt or such will collect and shift the axis. The big power plants have steam turbines that used to destroy the building as one end would weld itself solid with the turbine driving at only 3600 RPM and weighing many tons flies through the air. I started a program of measuring the vibration sound at a Dow plant I visited. A Chlorine plant from Mississippi river or salt domes when water was low. I would measure audio and sub audio vibrations and above a threshold they were instructed to change them out. After the program was implemented, they never lost a turbine. The program (I was using an early PC, MITS in 1977 or thereabouts.) Analog signals. High speed anything requires balance and 'running true' or it runs wild.

I cut with a plasma torch for years with CNC. The air supply was filtered from dust 4 times in the line and a refrigeration unit to dry out the moisture. Any of it and the beam of electrons would start to deflect and erode the focusing lens. That would cause a slanted beam and an out of control cut which destroyed product under production. I was cutting out items smaller than your thumb nail. Small chickens.

Keep it clean, clean, clean. And as Dileon mentioned, wash out the turbine to get anything present from wear or tear out.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate them greatly.

Comment

This is the handpiece I have. Any clues to which one is air and which is oil?

Comment

Let me interject this>Is it possible that this handpiece is used to etch glass? I believe that they use water to do the etching of glass. ???
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

The only engravers that I have seen like this are dental one....They come with two holes, four holes and sometimes six.....the extra hole is not for oil but water. Check the net search ...for dental handpieces. Let us know if you find out what to do...this is very interesting.

Comment

I should have stated yes, it is a dental drill. The other end accepts bits. If one is water, and I don't intend to use water, I could use the other tube hooked to the and over f-r-l setup, correct? The ad stared that it uses and over spray oil, which it assumed ( you know the danger there) was spray can, not frl. But if it requires frl, it' no big issue. I can handle that.

Comment

I do not know anything about dental engravers.....you best bet would be to grab a dentist. But from a small search on the net.....dental handpieces two holes you get a few ideas it is water... But I will not claim that is the right answer. You need to do some research.... Here is some information from a dental engraver handpiece....that has two holes.

All high speed handpieces incorporate an air or water spray as a coolant- the latest innovation is a multiport spray emanating from the head of the handpiece. The spray has to be adjusted in such a way to form a halo to cool the rotating bur at such high speeds. With the increased speeds and water coolants the area of cutting of the tooth structure was blocked by the water spray and.....

Comment

Description:
                            Premium handpiece lubricant spray all-synethic oil for any brand dental handpiece 500ml can with white adapter cap.
                            Manufacturer Code:
                            VL-S
                            Brand:
                            Vector
                            Packaging:
                            500 ml spray can
                            Type:
                            Lubricant and cleaner

Do a search on the net for this and other spray lubricants...note they are pricey.

Comment

Working...
                            X