No announcement yet.

Lathe tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am focusing on British style sticks also Dillon. This is a real good book if you do not have it.
    AC8D2F6F-413A-4E8D-B99F-66B43BF8A6F6.jpeg
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

OH MY God....I just watched the video where the guy got his head cut off with the lathe....and another the guy who was sucked into the lathe and killed....and another one got his arm ripped off...... and the guy got his arm cut in half. . One thing about those videos you learn fast ......about safety. I worked hospital safety,.. thought I see everything ...until now. My first headless person...thank goodness I am getting a small lathe.....that is all I need,.... no head!!!....new appreciation for those people who turn big stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
        OH MY God....I just watched the video where the guy got his head cut off with the lathe....and another the guy who was sucked into the lathe and killed....and another one got his arm ripped off...... and the guy got his arm cut in half. . One thing about those videos you learn fast ......about safety. I worked hospital safety,.. thought I see everything ...until now. My first headless person...thank goodness I am getting a small lathe.....that is all I need,.... no head!!!....new appreciation for those people who turn big stuff!!
        %#£*% !!!! So glad I didn’t see it BUT ‘yes’ lathes can be very dangerous. You got some REALLY good info here. You can’t beat personal instruction where you can actually see the person working in front of you.
        I learned a lot from a guy called ‘leo’ on the Canadian. Woodworking forum. He’s an old guy that’s been turning for years and is exceptionally good who loves helping people. You might want to check him out.
        Good luck. I love my lathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritwolfe View Post

%#£*% !!!! So glad I didn’t see it BUT ‘yes’ lathes can be very dangerous. You got some REALLY good info here. You can’t beat personal instruction where you can actually see the person working in front of you.
          I learned a lot from a guy called ‘leo’ on the Canadian. Woodworking forum. He’s an old guy that’s been turning for years and is exceptionally good who loves helping people. You might want to check him out.
          Good luck. I love my lathe.
          Actually I needed to see that....I get lazy about my power tools and what can happen. I been watching the video instruction on You Tube, and to tell the truth I had trouble staying awake and this one guy kept talking about these videos...so I decided to watch them...believe me....I was front and center and super wide awake watching them. At least I know the end results from being careless in different areas...... One thing about the videos if you get sick watching gross blood and guts these video are not for you but then perhaps neither is the power tool. I can watch a video today about the lathe and you can see which people are not about safety at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

... One thing about the videos if you get sick watching gross blood and guts these video are not for you but then perhaps neither is the power tool.
            Nope! I can clearly understand the danger of a power tool without watching videos of humans being beheaded but if ‘thats’ what works for ‘you’ then it’s all good. It’s just not for ‘me’ and that’s ok too.

Comment

About like watching some of the safety films in the 50's - working in shops, driving and the gore. It was supposed to get you composed to be careful. I wonder. Long hair and sleeves as well as gloves can get you in trouble fast. Many schools have shields curving over the top of the work, flip up to change or work without. Some only Screens. Simply said, if you put something in the lathe, turn it around once or twice by hand. see if it is out of balance and needs to be sawed or trimmed a bit. Preform the 'blank' before you start. Martin

Comment

Working...
              X