Saburrtooth Burrn performance has dropped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saburrtooth Burrn performance has dropped

A question for the group. I use a Saburtooth burr for roughing out my birds (basswood), and have used it for a bit over three years. It doesn't seem to perform as well as in the past, and when I look at the teeth they appear a bit worn down. I assume this is the cause of the decline in performance, but an wondering if this is normal, or am I using too much pressure on the burr. I love the performance I used to get, and will gladly buy a new burr if this is normal wear. Looking forward to hearing the experience and wisdom of the group. Thanks

Not sure, I haven't had to replace any of mine, after a long service ??????
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Slow ,are you sure it's clean ,if not you can take a Torch and burn out the Wood that is jammed in the Teeth , wont hurt it . You can also try running it Backwards SLOWLY and run a Sharpening Stone over the Teeth . You are only trying to Hone the Tips not reshaping the Teeth. Might bring it back to life. Merle

Comment

For what it is worth---I use "Easy-Off" oven cleaner to clean up bits and files
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Can you post a picture of the teeth, so we do not jump to conclusions?
          ~ Dwight
          "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

I have used it for over three years, estimate 50+ carvings roughed out. They teeth are definitely worn down about 50%, I compared this one (coarse) to the fine one of the same configuration (safe end cylinder) that I also use. It is clean as a hounds tooth, I do maintain my tools. I just wanted to know if the wear was excessive, but guess that at $17 for a replacement I got more than my moneys worth.

Comment

It also depends on the wood you're using. Bits used on tupelo or basswood will last longer than bits used on oak, especially if you find a nail embedded in the oak.

Best Regards,
              Bob Duncan
              Technical Editor, Woodworking/DIY

Comment

Like BobD said it depends on the wood, ....I have had teeth break off....hard wood and perhaps it hit metal or rock in the wood? Wear down some especially on burrs I use alot....but I can say compare to other brands of burrs they are still major on top of the list for lasting way beyond the other kinds. I have had burrs of other brands totally destroyed in a short time.

Comment

They all do given enough use and add to that sand or dirt embedded in the wood and aggressive cleaning will wear the carbide points down. Too bad they costs so much but most tools that are high quality are costly. I just bought a new 41/2" extra coarse wheel by KUTZALL on amazon for $55 but you know our hobby is still cheaper than playing golf

Comment

Originally posted by Donsexton View Post
                    but you know our hobby is still cheaper than playing golf
                    Let's see....green fees. new balls, 19th hole.....yep way cheaper!

Tinwood

Comment

Many of the 'rose' woods - the pretty color red, purple, green and such wick up dissolved silica into their trunks and limbs. It dulls tools on wood lathes and is like a grindstone.

Comment

Working...
                      X