basic components of power carving tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic components of power carving tools

I’d like to know what the basic components of power carving are. What I’m thinking is that the following are needed: [1] a motor and foot pedal to regulate speed; [2] a flexible shaft; [3] both a rotary and a reciprocating handle to attach to the flex shaft; [4] a variety of burrs and cutting bits for the handles.

Does that pretty much cover things, or have I missed something basis [besides wood and and idea]?

I’d also like to know if these four things are interchangeable between brands. That is, would a Wecheer handle work with a Harbor Freight motor/flexible shaft?

Hi Barent
    You should have no problem using a weecheer recip handle on a harbor freight rotary carver flex shaft, I
    recommend that you buy flex cut recip bits, wee cheer bits don't hold an edge very long.
    Hope this helps
    Bruce

Comment

You will also need to consider safety equipment.... leather glove if holding the wood/carving, a leather thumb-guard for the rotary tool holding hand, and a leather apron if you like to hold your carvings close to your body .... dust collector and dust mask .... eye/face protection ..... carvers vice when using the reciprocating tools .... good lighting.
      ....Dave
      Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
      www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

I believe all is good advice. The following would have to be considered a personal preference. Rather a foot pedal, I prefer the unit that let you set your speed with a dial on a control box, that way I just have to concentrate on what the burr is doing & not keeping a foot steady
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Read through this link about a review of the inexpensive brands. https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...ex-shaft-tools

Comment

I'm new here. Fordom makes a great setup. Dremal works great. Stay away from the Vortex F5 turbo Carver. Presto 2 works great for me.

Comment

I have flex shafts and my hands cramped. So I invested in a Rampower 45 it was much easier on my hands. plus it is reversible. I do mostly small detail work.

Fiskare Why do you say stay away from the Vortex F5?
              Last edited by Rolf B.; 03-14-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X