Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions

Hi,
    Just got Foredom 5200 and 1070. Using the 5200 for 1/4 and 1/8. The 1070 for 3/32.

Tried hand craving I'm not good at sharpening nor keeping my hand from the blades.

Going to keep those for the moment but I think after just an hour I'm not going back to hand.

The 1/8 has a steel carbide bud and it leaves burns on the wood, what am I doing wrong?

other then that I will be full on it tomorrow and have more questions.

you're probably pushing too hard, maybe slow down the rpm, let the burs do the work. sometimes I find it is better to just be brushing off the area that you want to remove the wood.
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Ok I will try that Thank you

Comment

What kind of wood are you using? I find some wood burn easy. If the wood burns you have to slow down the speed ;until it does not burn. If it is still burning you may have to use a different kind of burr.. Such as Kutzall or Sabruu tooth....and then sand down the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
          What kind of wood are you using? I find some wood burn easy. If the wood burns you have to slow down the speed ;until it does not burn. If it is still burning you may have to use a different kind of burr.. Such as Kutzall or Sabruu tooth....and then sand down the area.
          It's basswood, I was pushing the tool instead of letting it do the work I think. Right now I'm learning using only a carbide 1/8" shank ball bit.

I'm running into another problem, I have the foredom clamp dual mount and using all the parts. When using it I'm having a hard bend at the end on the tool when holding it like a pencil - it's getting warm after about 1/2hr -1hr. I don't know what else i could do to ease the bend. I wish I had a longer shaft then it would be ok.

BTW I don't think I'm going back to hand tools. Hate the fuzzies tho trying to come up with cheap ways to remove them.

Comment

With the 5200 you want to minimize the bend in you shaft as much as possible. This is done by relocating the motor possession higher or lower depending on how you are working the hand piece. If you do a search for “Foredom YouTube” You will find number of Foredom videos on how to use and maintenance of the unit.
            Last edited by Randy; 03-16-2019, 05:19 PM.
            Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

For a cheap fuss buster~Bar-B-Que lighter=qucik strokes, it works
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                For a cheap fuss buster~Bar-B-Que lighter=qucik strokes, it works
                Awesome - I went to local Home Depot and brought home some smooth Popular and also Select Pine.

Cheaper then Basswood and I have a somewhat local supply (prob S. Basswood). The aforementioned wood worked about the same as Basswood - less fuzzy. H.D. also has Oak but what I read on here prob not going to try that.

Onward and Forward next week (God willing) I will really be hitting it as I have most stuff I need. Maybe have pics finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Daroc View Post

It's basswood, I was pushing the tool instead of letting it do the work I think. Right now I'm learning using only a carbide 1/8" shank ball bit.

I'm running into another problem, I have the foredom clamp dual mount and using all the parts. When using it I'm having a hard bend at the end on the tool when holding it like a pencil - it's getting warm after about 1/2hr -1hr. I don't know what else i could do to ease the bend. I wish I had a longer shaft then it would be ok.

BTW I don't think I'm going back to hand tools. Hate the fuzzies tho trying to come up with cheap ways to remove them.
                  Later no basswood, no fuzzies....I was taught in the beginning to let the whole shaft hang, and keep it as straight as possible when in use or in storage...no extreme bends it will heat and then break. . There are longer shafts you can purchase but I believe that might not resolve your issue.
                  . I have my foredoms hanging from a 2 by four hooked into the ceiling rafters, you can make various hangers just make sure that the whole foredom and shaft are in line.....as you will see some have a hand tool holder that bends the shaft for storage...that is a no, no. or if you can get an IV rack I have heard they are awesome from a local hospital. One the biggest issues is to place the foredom in a manner that shaft is not going to bend much....this often takes messing around with placement..., ...bending shaft means it will break a lot sooner and you will have to get a new one. You will have to stand or sit in a manner that reduces the bend usage....for me that means hanging it high just off the table and seeing the best ideal place for max. usage before finding a final place to put the foredom, I have a chair on wheels that I can position myself....at times I have stand to make sure the way I am holding the handpiece does not bend the shaft too much. You foredom is either too near to you, in the wrong position, ...and too high or too low..... in other words you have experiment...

https://www.foredom.net/foredom-video-library/
                  Last edited by Dileon; 03-17-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Also ask people the best kinds of woods to carve....will save you time and money before buying. Each one of these people on here has their favorites and ones they could do without. I hate pine and redwood...and love mahogany....although I am an exotic woods person....because where I live. Basswood has fuzzies I do not like it because of that reason. Although it does not burn easy I wondering if you got the hard kind.
                    Last edited by Dileon; 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                      Also ask people the best kinds of woods to carve....will save you time and money before buying. Each one of these people on here has their favorites and ones they could do without. I hate pine and redwood...and love mahogany....although I am an exotic woods person....because where I live. Basswood has fuzzies I do not like it because of that reason. Although it does not burn easy I wondering if you got the hard kind.
                      I spent about 8$ on the popular and Select Pine - I think Lowes has a better selection then H.D. I am going there today so will check it out (mostly to keep supply local and not pay S&H). I solved the flexshaft bend problem and have the setup the way I want it. All the answers and help is most appreciated. I've been lurking since I created the acct on this site I read all of the previous posts in this forum and a few others. Not afraid to do my own research. Where is SuzieQ she was very active and then nothing, I hope all is well. Thanks again for everybody's valueable insight and experience.

Comment

She is still very active, most old timers on the forum come and go.....I do it also especially when busy.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that.

Comment

Working...
                          X