the kids are all gone.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the kids are all gone.....

so i now have my own room upstairs in our old farmhouse. in the past i've done some fret work on my scroll saw. i'm setting up to try my hand at intarsia, but i'de also like to try some power carving. i'm having a hard time figuring out what rotary tool to get. saw a guy on youtube uses an oz plus, it's a bit pricey considering i've never done carving before. same with a foredom, harbor freight has similar type motor for way cheaper. but sometimes you get what you pay for. i was leaning toward a dremel 4300 until i saw this on craigslist and wondered what you experienced people thought of it https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/t...069003129.html . i also have a question on the differences in rpm's with these machines, i mean a dremel at up to 35000 rpm and this thing at 350,000 rpm. well, thanks for your time, sorry about being so long winded. fred

If you're going to buy some power carving equipment, the first plunge might seem a little costly, but it will be worth it in the long run. I have Mastercarver power tools Plus an airpower unit, The one that is listed on Craigslist peak my interest, but you'll need an air compressor That can kick out at least 1.5 cfm @35psi. Just my 2¢ worth
    . . .JoeB

Comment

I use a foredom for power carving, expensive, but worth the money.

I have the one with the micro motor hand piece because I don’t like use it a flex shaft.

If you buy saburr tooth bits, they are very good, and in my experience, I’ve never had to replace one, and I use them a lot!!!

Comment

The Foredom is a good place to start. and will serve you well for many years when maintained. If you will be working on small projects where you will be doing mostly shaping and not much waist removal a micro motor unit may be a better choice. Treeline offers the Strong 202 Micro Motor with Variable Speed Footpedal for about what you would pay for a Foredom. There is a learning curve with power carving, each unit has its limits. For a good unit you will pay from 3 to 4 hundred. But as has been said worth it in the long run.

Comment

so am i correct that the foredom would be for removing a lot of material, and a micro motor for doing detail ? so then i really want 2 machines. so i better be real nice on valentines day. before i talk to (ask) my wife.

Comment

It would be nice, but the Foredom could be used for both, but it is handy to have both units∙∙∙∙have a nice valentines day, It is going to have to be a receptacle one
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by gagesgramps View Post
              so am i correct that the foredom would be for removing a lot of material, and a micro motor for doing detail ? so then i really want 2 machines. so i better be real nice on valentines day. before i talk to (ask) my wife.
              I worked with just a foredom with foot control for many years. It has more torque than your micro units. You can use the larger 1/4 shank burrs. With all of them you want to let the burr do the work To much pressure and the unit will bog down as well as putting unnecessary ware on your parts.

Comment

thanks for your time and insight gentlemen. what foredom models do you recommend, hand piece included? by the way this valentines day will be our 39th wedding anniversary. thanks again. fred

Comment

I use a Dremel, but I wanted to mention: Do NOT EVER use a kevlar or other cloth glove when using a rotary tool. Only use an all-leather glove. The cloth can catch in the burr and break a finger or worse before you can blink. The leather won't catch the same way. Better the leather glove experience the spinning burr than your hand/arm/leg...
                  Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Working...
                  X