Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy
    replied
    Missed this post. I just got these they were a gift. I have not used them yet. sounds like I will be happy with them. 3,4,5,6,8,MM's.

IMG_2046 (002).jpg

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi, Joe , I posted a few Years ago about running your Bits in reverse on a Very Fine Grit Stone and yes it does make it cut better .When doing it run it slow and you could get more Time out of your Old Bits. Merle

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Hey Merle, I tried something with my smallest fluted bit today and it seemed to work. I think it would work better in a harder wood, but all I had handy was basswood, anyway I just carved a sideways profile in the wood, add some stropping compound, reversed the direction to the bur, slowed it down real slow, and stropped the bur. It might just be my imagination but definitely cut better.~for what it worth

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Not only what Merle has said, but I finding a top speed is better.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Claude, I went back and looked at what you were referring to , if you look close you will see he is Cutting against the Grain going from his Left to Right and that is when the Tool started to Jump . I feel if he would have turned the Board around it would cut Smooth . This is my Opinion and other Members may see it differently , if so Please share your Thoughts . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Claude , I think when you go against the Grain it makes the Bit want to Grab and Dig in . Try turning the Piece to let you cut with the Grain . You might also trying Different Speeds . I found that I needed to Learn how to use Power Carving Bits if I wanted to keep Carving , and I'm still Learning . Again that's the Challenge and Fun of this Hobby . Be Patient and go slow . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
    Right at the 7:01 mark when he starts "feathering" his cut, the burrs dig in, then bounce up, and repeat. This is the same problem I have with almost any rotary burr - It digs in almost uncontrolably, and then bounces out. How do you power carvers get around this problem?

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Just received my Order of the 10 Piece set . It is the same as the 5 Piece set but 2 of everything . Tried the Big Bit on the Mahogany , do need Higher Speed and still need to be aware of the Grain Direction , it will chip if going against the Grain . These Bits are not for Debarking a Log but they will remove Wood for their size . Don't be Afraid of them but DO RESPECT them , they will Cut . As for me I like them . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Sharon , I'm using the 3 Fluted Bits now and they are working out really good . As with any Tool Bits you must be very careful and know just where your Fingers are , or the Bit will tell you . Hope your Mishap with one wasn't Permanent . Was wondering if you were still Carving those Great Mountain Carvings or Carving at all . Good hearing from you and your Well . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Ed , they sure do but controlled . Getting into those small Places really nice and don't need a lot of pressure . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied
    Hi Merle. long time no see. I've been lurking on here just about everyday for quite a while and saw your post.
    I saw some thing like these, might be the same thing, advertised on farcebook. Been wondering if they are any good.
    Seems like they are worth the try. And just now the husband yelled out to get some. So my arm has been twisted and I must buy some now!

Edited to add, I would totally wear a leather glove on my holding hand and no long sleeves in case it wanted to walk my hand and arm! Don't ask how i know these things.
    Last edited by Sharon of the Dell; 02-11-2021, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Merle,

Who knew, definitely look like they would move some wood.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Joe , one thing these Bits don't do is Burn the Wood and to me that means they are Cutting and they certainly do . Will see tomorrow when I get the other Bits. Merle

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    I think they would do a better job if my handpieces turned at higher RPM With only 4 flutes they seem a little jumpy to me, but I'm using them

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Chuck, I ordered the 10 Pc. set , will get them tomorrow . Merle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X