Bits and Sanding Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits and Sanding Drum

Being the good husband I was with my wife when she stopped at the beauty supply store, as she was shopping I was looking at the nail art tools and supply. There were lots of neat little bits and sander accessories that would work with Dremels and or Foredoms. But I found that I could buy them the cheaper on eBay. Search "nail art drill file tools"

Don't forget to buy a crepe rubber stick for cleaning power sanding papers.
    When they pack up with dust, the urge is to press harder to keep them cutting.
    Wrong, run them on the rubber stick to pull all the dust out of the sandpaper.

I cut and shape abalone and mussel sea shells for wood carving inlay.
    I use several different grind stones in my drill press as the cutters and shapers.
    I can clean the stones in seconds with the rubber stick.

If not? I'm guessing that I would have ruined about $700.00 in grind stones.
    Instead, I still use the originals.
    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
      Don't forget to buy a crepe rubber stick for cleaning power sanding papers.
      When they pack up with dust, the urge is to press harder to keep them cutting.
      Wrong, run them on the rubber stick to pull all the dust out of the sandpaper.

I cut and shape abalone and mussel sea shells for wood carving inlay.
      I use several different grind stones in my drill press as the cutters and shapers.
      I can clean the stones in seconds with the rubber stick.

If not? I'm guessing that I would have ruined about $700.00 in grind stones.
      Instead, I still use the originals.
      Brian,
      This reminds me of my father in law...he was a hopelessly addicted woodworker after retiring in 1989. He made 35 or so full-size Grandfather clocks from scratch, and over 350 smaller battery powered clocks during his clock making days. He was going through a LOT of disc and belts on his sander until I introduced him to cleaning the belts and discs with the crepe stick...I was his hero after that!

Comment

The guys in the rustic furniture shop down my street introduced me to the crepe rubber sticks.
        They do canes and hiking sticks in batches of 50 so they sand for a month at a time.

I was finishing several carvings that had abalone shell inlay. I actually counted how many times I used the stick to recover a plugged up stone. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Lee Valley sells a very clever little "sanding finger." with little sanding belts that you rotate for a fresh surface. With the crepe rubber stick to clean it, the original belt will last a lifetime.
        Brian T

Comment

I bought various nail bits and sanding drums, although great for nails, the items appear to be not so well made to last, especially using it for wood carving. I ended up using the stuff to do my toenails or if I did use them it was it the spirit it could not be used a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X