Foredom reciprocating attachment or burrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foredom reciprocating attachment or burrs

Hi folks, I have been primarily a hand tool guy. I have a foredom that I have had for a long time but hardly used as I went more the hand tool route. I am starting to have some issues with pain due to some arthritis and old injuries, plus I can see where a combo of both would have some advantages. I have the foredom motor and shaft already. I am thinking about the reciprocating handle and chisels but I don't see a lot of guys actually using them. My question is do you think it is worth investing in the handset or put that money into burrs. The appeal of the power chisel is less dust, but if burrs are the way to go I will go that route . Your comments are appreciated and valued. Thanks in advance. BTW I have done more caricature work than anything, but I do other stuff as well. Jim

Hi Jim , I have the Reciprocating Hand Tool and like it . Detailing in Hard Wood for me it's a must . Not an Everyday user but when needed it's a Big help . Merle

Comment

i use the rescipocating attachment a good bit im doing a large carving or a walking stick that has some hard wood.
      Mark N. Akers
      My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I have an AutoMach that I use on almost every carving I do. I feel your arthritis and old injuries. If something helps me enjoy my carving I use it.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys, I am going to add it to my line-up along with a couple of burrs and see how it fits in with some of my upcoming projects. Cheers Jim

Comment

The vibration of a tool is hard on arthritis....in my badly damaged hands. I have gone back to using hand tools more nowadays. Although it is noted I use anything until it hurts then I switch methods. In that essence, I have just about everything power and otherwise....so use a little bit of everything.

Comment

I think you it the nail on the head and that's the approach I am going to take as well, I will get more carving time this way and I think I will be a better all around with this approach. I didn't consider the vibration and I can see where that would be an issue.. These little aches and pains that come with age sure make life interesting

Comment

I now have 2 WeCheer units. They work great and save hands quit a bit, My son purchased for me a unit from Harbor fright and these hook up just right, I just ordered a set of Fordom chisels and received, they seem to be a better set and 6 instead of 5, better steel I think. I like the utility of being able to quick change units back from a sander to chisel. Ah my 2 p anyway.
                Chuck
                Chuck
                Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

One thing I do use is a small bass or copper mallets on my palm tools, note palm tools are not made for mallets but these will not do damage to the tool if not hit too hard. Using the mallet takes the pressure of the grip off sore joints with arthritis. And I have even been known to use them for a light hit on my carving knives. copper mallets ).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                    One thing I do use is a small bass or copper mallets on my palm tools, note palm tools are not made for mallets but these will not do damage to the tool if not hit too hard. Using the mallet takes the pressure of the grip off sore joints with arthritis. And I have even been known to use them for a light hit on my carving knives. copper mallets ).jpg
                    Those really make sense the small mallets. Might I ask where did you get those or did you make them ? I just made a small hard wood mallet with a handle from Mexican cactus spine light but hard hitter and light enough for me and these hands.
                    Cheers
                    Chuck
                    Chuck

Comment

Narex 500 gram Brass Carving Mallet w/ Hornbeam Handle by Narex 43 dollars
                      Brand: Narex
                      4.7 out of 5 stars 50 ratings Amazon. Lee Valley has a set of two one large and small which I bought...I see the price has gone up...but the same price is an approximate per mallet. These mallets I use a lot...and just not for carving....anything small that needs to be hammered and is somewhat fragile to a hammer. Lately, that has been staples from a staple gun that do not go all the way into the wood for canvass pictures. You can do a search on the net and you may find them cheaper?

Comment

Thanks for that info..
                        Chuck
                        Chuck

Comment

Those little brass mallets look like they would be handy to have around.

Comment

Originally posted by almasy589 View Post
                            Those little brass mallets look like they would be handy to have around.
                            Lee Valley sells them.
                            https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...-brass-mallets

Comment

Working...
                            X