Recommendation for Micro-motor for carving European Boxwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for Micro-motor for carving European Boxwood

I currently have a Foredom TX Series flex shaft as well as a Foredom Power Graver with a NGraver handpiece used for engraving metal but also cuts wood well with proper bits. After Covid I have had issues with hand and wrist pain and am not really able to use conventional hand tools. Would a Micromotor such as the Strong 202 with carbide bits be a good choice for fine detail carving in European Boxwood. Subject sizes would be smaller, most being 2 to 5 inches in each dimension at most, some even smaller. Thoughts?, opinions are appreciated on the tool type and brands if that’s allowed. I believe my current tools will be adequate for rough work but the finer details will be the challenge. Thanks in advance for answers.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Personally, I'd pick a much harder wood that would hold far finer details when you have the muscle of a power carver. You could blast through tagua nut that I would never touch with hand tools.
    Brian T

Comment

The strong 202 I a good unit. I think there are a number here that use it. I use my Foredom for rough out and my mico unit for more light shaping and detail. With hard woods you have to let the bur do the work most mico units are limited on their torque and will bog down with to much pressure. This is a good information shet on power carving burs.
      https://woodcarvingillustrated.com/b...-carving-bits/
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I found out only just recently that dental tools could be used for woodcarving. I had no idea of the torque they produced.
        personally, I am on the fence for a Strong or OZ-Plus.
        Retired Dimensional Graphics Artist (a/k/a Sign Carver)

Comment

Hi Alan
          I have a NSK presto unit for fine detail. Haven't had it long and haven't really spent a lot of time on it as yet but it gets around at 320,000 rpm and is light in the hand and is a bit like a really fat pen. You can get a range of burrs for it that are cheap. You will need a small air compressor to drive the thing though. I found it pretty good for feather detail.

Comment

Working...
          X