Foredom chuck nut hits wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foredom chuck nut hits wood

I've had my Foredom SR for a few years and I've always struggled with not dinging my carving up with the chuck nut. Because the burs are so short I am really limited in how wide of wood I can use.
    Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, what are some things I can do to prevent accidental dings when I'm trying to carve in deeper grooves in the middle of my workpiece.

I'm not meaning to be a smart a**, but there are longer bits on the market. I'm not sure I'm understanding your question...........
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Every tool has limits, so you need to figure out how to cut deeper. Longer bit, as Joe suggested, or possibly a hand tool. I use a lot of palm tools on my carvings, but sometimes i need the longer reach of a full size tool, and maybe a mallet also. A drill can be useful, or an angle grinder. The nut is smaller on a micromotor tool, but they are not for roughing out. A die grinder is useful for somethings and manpa tools makes some useful bits.
      'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
      http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have use the Foredom for many years and have not found that to be an issue. I do have to change the angle of my attack as I go lower in the wood. I use the 30 H or # 28 handpiece. The 1/4 shank burrs are all basically the same length. The 1/8th and the 3/32nd can be used higher in the hand piece giving more depth for getting it to deeper detail. The only issue I have found doing that is when I have use too much pressure and I have damaged some of the thinner 3/32md shanks.

I
        Last edited by Randy; 08-09-2022, 11:49 AM.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Deep areas in the wood must use a variety of tools... first I drill a hole to the depth of area that is needed, next use long handle chisels to get into the area. I never use the Foredom to drill deep areas as you can break the shaft easily if the handpiece chuck gets caught in your wood. I never use less than a 1/4 bit. All smaller burrs are for the Dremel. If you are hitting the handpiece you going too far in and must use other methods to get and carve into that space. I plan for uneven areas...they are sanded down and yea it is hard work. Foredoms and Dremels are great for surface areas that are not deep in the wood, otherwise, you have to use a variety of methods to get into harder areas. I know when I was doing some really deep relief work...you just can not get into some areas with power at all without dinging wrong the areas. Drilling holes make it easy to carve with the right chisels. And yes it will take patience and time to get it to the way you want it.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            Where would I get longer bit? I've looked around but haven't found any that are remarkably longer. It seems weird that Foredom includes such short bits in their sets.
            I can usually get away with changing the angle but sometimes I'm limited and can't. I appreciate the suggestion of using hand tools.
            For joepaulbutler I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about. (it is not the best example since the bit is round. When I'm trying to make a flat spot I can't just change the angle because the flat spots need to a specific way or if the section is farther from the edge of the wood it get more tricky.)
            Thanks for the suggestions about using other tools.
            How would I write some letters where it is flat not rounded at the bottom (like in the attached picture)
            IMG_20220812_154405.jpg Screenshot_20220812-161230.jpg

Comment

Why do you have the burr pushed all the way to the head? I put my burrs in some shank showing and tighten. I never push it all the way in like that. Two# you are holding the handpiece against the wood and of course, it will make marks. Your handpiece needs to be held like a pen and away from the surface wood. I highly recommend you watch youtube videos on people carving with a handpiece. Noting how far the burr is pushed into the handpiece and tighten....next how to hold it so it does not hit the surface wood. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...WkPIPvLSNuA444
              Last edited by DiLeon; 08-14-2022, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Burrs and bits Foredom, kutzall and sabruutooth burrs. Various sizes and shapes Also use carbide cutters for sharp clean edges. For the letters, you are showing again find a video and watch how they do it and what burrs they are using, how far in the shank is pushed into the handpiece. Note how all handpieces from a Dremel flex shaft to a foredom flex shaft are used and the position of the hand to the wood. Note the handpiece does not touch the wood or you going to get scratches plus the drag on the handpiece is not good either. Remember each new project there is a learning curve and most of the time it will take time and patience. All of us will tell there is no instant success. Time and patience to learn how to do it, may take you doing over and over again until you got it.
                Last edited by DiLeon; 08-14-2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Another video highly recommends everyone look at many videos on Youtube and decide which is best for you. He is using diamond bit burrs, which can be found cheap on Amazon you can often get sets of different kinds. I use the diamond a lot to make a nice smooth surface. Oh yea, I never recommend a Dremel flex shaft too cheap and breaks easy and fast, just my opinion but I carve hardwoods.
                  Last edited by DiLeon; 08-14-2022, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions.
                    the only reason I push the bits all the way in is because that is what the instruction manual that came with the Foredom says to do. Good to know I don't have to do that.

Comment

Get at least 1/2" of the shaft in the collet. Or you'll have a slingshot effect.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by cdev007 View Post
                        Thanks for your suggestions.
                        the only reason I push the bits all the way in is because that is what the instruction manual that came with the Foredom says to do. Good to know I don't have to do that.
                        Blackstone industries own Foredom, they have lots of videos on how to maintain your machine....to how to use them on the Foredom sight, and carving videos to learn how to do different things Here is a video where they show things about the bits, about the kinds plus demo on how to use them. This carving video is by Foredom, ...and note not all the bits and burrs are pushed into the handpiece as you will see in the video. I did see one flat back pushed completely near the handpiece. As Joe stated....The shanks are halfway in...if you get them too far out then burr will fly out and hit the walls. I watch while I am carving to make sure one is not sliding out during a lot of carving. Believe me I have had the slingshot effect more than once in my carving years, good thing they never hit me. This video is good because it shows to do and what not to do when using a flexshaft.

https://www.foredom.net/woodcarving-...frank-russell/.

Comment

Just watched the rabbit video - very interesting! Thanks for the link!

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                          My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                          My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                          My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

The "only" problem I have with a handpiece that has the keyed chuck is keeping my fingers out of the chuck teeth while it is spinning at full speed. (well, any speed, actually). I'll invest in a cover eventually.
                            c643ae86-204c-4509-a709-951601413b23.jpg
                            Last edited by John Smith; 09-19-2022, 08:03 AM.
                            Retired Dimensional Graphics Artist (a/k/a Sign Carver)

Comment

Originally posted by John Smith View Post
                              The "only" problem I have with a handpiece that has the keyed chuck is keeping my fingers out of the chuck teeth while it is spinning at full speed. (well, any speed, actually). I'll invest in a cover eventually.
                              c643ae86-204c-4509-a709-951601413b23.jpg
                              Yes this is one of my main hates ...love the chuck but the sucker bites!

Comment

Working...
                              X