shop air filtration....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shop air filtration....

Does anyone here use one of those units that you hang from the ceiling to collect the real fine wood dust particles? I am thinking of getting one for my shop and wondered what some of you might have and if you think it does the job? I know where there is a Penn State model for sale used for $125 but my husband wants me to get a Jet or a Delta.....

If anyone is using one of these, I'd love to hear about it....

Re: shop air filtration....

Susieq, I have a Grizzly, industrial style air cleaner, 1/6hp, 2.5 amps which was given to me. Although I have mine sitting on a Work-mate bench, it can be suspended.
    Does it do the job? I wasn't sure until I cleaned it out the first time. I couldn't believe all the fine dust that thing removed from the air. It's pretty quiet too.
    I highly recommend it or one like it. Especially recommended when power carving.
    Mike

Comment

I have a Jet and although it's expensive I experienced the same fine catching as carvnman40. I carve in a finished room and one of the side benefits is I don't have dust my room near as much. Note though is a FINE dust collector only. I also have the DC720 (I think) carving dust collector. How much do you value your health I guess is the underlying question. All it catches are in air particles and you will see these when you shake out the filter, as noted. Some go their whole lifetime with no problems but others????? Hope I helped with concerns

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I am very concerned about wood dust. I do wear a mask and carve over a dust collector but had been thinking about adding one of these things to my shop. The fine dust that floats in the air and settles all over everything is more than a nuisance, I am sure it can be dangerous.

I love my little "inlap" dust collector but I do wonder if there is an upgrade to the bag available..... But this unit I was asking about would be a great addition to my shop and I might go ahead and get it or one like it. I am sure some are better than others which is why I was asking if anybody had one and what brand was it. My hubby said that Penn State is just a step up from Harbor Freight..... but it's available and reasonable...
        Thanks again and if anyone else out there has one of these, please chime in here.

Comment

sorry...I thought this said shop FLIRTATion...ha

Comment

Now I'm as likely as the next guy to get inexpensive stuff from Harbor Freight or from even a place "...just a step up" from Harbor Freight.
            Maybe more likely, depending on that "next guy"! <g>

But I have to say when it comes a safety or health related equipment I would never buy from either place.

When I comes to health and safety equipment price should not only be your last consideration but it probably shouldn't be a consideration at all.
            Value & documented effectiveness should be your only guides.

Think about what motivated you to get this type of equipment in the first place: your health.

I just sort of chuckle at the $1.99 safety glasses and such in Harbor Freight.
            Are there really people who are only willing to pay $1.99 to protect their eyes!
            Same logic applies to air filters I'd think.

At best, you get what you pay for, and sometimes it's hard to even get that.

Just my $0.02.

Russ

Comment

ROTF....Keoma, I will leave it to you to start that thread...which section should we put it in? LOL.....

Russ, good point. I am familiar with Penn State products as they have been around for a while and they do make an electrostatic filter to go into their unit, which I understand to be a very good thing.... I used to have a Penn State dust collector and it did the job.....was soooo noisy I couldn't hear myself think but it did work....

Comment

SQ,

I just went off from your description of Penn State as being a step above Harbor Freight. I had never looked at Penn State or their business.

I now see that their core business is as a woodworking/dust collecting equipment manufacturer.

That entirely changes my call for concern.

All the best,

Russ

Comment

I am never offended by an opinion when that's what I asked for...LOL. I thank everyone who takes the time to respond...even if they think the thread was about "flirtation"....still chuckling over that......

Please continue to chime in if you have one of these units. Tell me what brand you have and if you like it or if you are sorry you didn't buy a more expensive one. I know that Amazon has a nice Jet advertised with free shipping for $199..... that would be hard to beat and I did just sell a carving this week so......?

Comment

I had built a filtration system from an old discarted house furnace. I put in 2 of those hog hair type filters, and one pleated filter. It didn't take long before I had to clean them out. It made a big difference. The motor finally gave up last fall, and I've not found another one, and I can't stay in the shop very long without raising the overhead door(much too cold for that now).

Comment

Thanks Cut up,
                      I have been researching and it's down to a Jet or a JDS model which Woodcraft is touting as the premier shop filtration machine.... Right now, they have 10% off and there is a store right down the road from us. I have also found it discounted on line with free shipping. The big thing now is the
                      WASHABLE electrostatic filter.... it comes with the JDS model and by itself is $50. I really wasn't looking to spend a bunch of money right now but I know that I still get a small amount of wood dust when I carve. Any amount is too much over the long term.... I guess I am going to let the Penn State model slide and go for either the Jet or JDS.

Comment

Originally posted by susieq View Post
                        Does anyone here use one of those units that you hang from the ceiling to collect the real fine wood dust particles? I am thinking of getting one for my shop and wondered what some of you might have and if you think it does the job? I know where there is a Penn State model for sale used for $125 but my husband wants me to get a Jet or a Delta.....

If anyone is using one of these, I'd love to hear about it....

Yep, Have a Delta and it works great.
                        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

HI Ho,
                          What model did you get? How large is it? My shop is fairly small...only 10 by 20.....just a shed really. I am looking at the smallest models.

Comment

Susieq:

I have the Jet one Buy Jet Air Filtration System, Model AFS-1000B, Jet Air Filtration System, Jet,

It sits on top of the extra refrigerator in my little basement workshop. Not particularly quiet, but it's quieter than the shop vac and collects a lot of the fine dust. I live in a townhouse and my shop area is in the basement not far from the HVAC unit. My wife says the dust layers in the rest of the house have decreased significantly since I got the filter. I normally only run it if I'm sanding or running the Dremel - and I use the shop vac for sucking up the stuff right where I'm working. I'm happy with the Jet unit.

Claude
                            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Thank you for the feed back, Claude.
                              If your wife notices a difference up stairs, then your Delta is making a big difference down stairs....

Comment

Working...
                              X