• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turbo Carvers?

i have a 400sx from scm and have not had any issues with breakdowns

Comment

Derita,
      I had the rubber lines from the turbo carver and I put a tiny tee on it for the air jet line and ran them to the ports on the hand piece. I put a line on the exhaust as well and ran it back a couple of feet to keep the noise down.
      I wrapped the lines together so they don't get tangled and looks nice.

You can purchase a connector on eBay as well. I just figured out how to make it work with what I had and went with it.

James

Comment

Hi reader,

I just purchase a bunch of high speed tools,

SMC system 3, Dremel 4200 full equipe and Foredom SR motor and a couple of handpieces.

I want to be able to make more things of different size, mainly for starting I will do relief.

I will start with the 400SX and go from there.

I am just starting this hobby and I hope it become a passion.

Any help is very welcome!

Regards
        Claude

Comment

Check out
          Gunstock Carving by Bill Janney

Comment

I like some of Bill's work... a lot of times he takes off too much material for my taste.

I like it when you use the wood grain to enhance and give contrast to the artwork rather than removing everything but the image you are carving. Especially if you put a glossy finish on it.

Here is what I mean...

This is what it looked like before it was finished >> I wanted to take off as little as possible to add to the beauty of the stock wood grain.
            That was my first attempt at the basket weave on the grip. It looks ok, but could have been much better.

I was going to post a picture of the finish gun but I can't find the photos... sorry.

Here is a close up of the buck.

Carving Gunstocks is fun if they are yours... stressful when they belong to someone else and they give you a long story about it as they hand it to you. It is good to ask a gun shop owner if they have any cracked or broken stocks they can give you.

This was a old stock that a gun shop gave me... I took it back to them and they liked it enough to put it on display... Made me feel good.

James

Comment

I absolutely love my Turbo Carver and I'm always looking at things I can carve with it. My favorite thing to work on is golfballs.. Yep, you read that right.. I take a PVC Pipe cutting tool that looks like a big pair of vice grips only where the bottom teeth would be there is a large piece with a curve cut into it that a golf ball fits nicely into, and where the top teeth are, it has probably a 3" long razor sharp blade. The squeeze handles click when you press them and cut a little deeper each time.. You don't go very deep as you're only trying to remove half the cover of the golf ball. Once you get it deep enough, loosen the cutter, rotate the ball a little and repeat. With practice, you'll get a nice straight cut. I usually turn the ball in the cutter 90 degrees and split half of the cover off on one side, then take a knife and work it between the cover and the ball and pry the 2 1/4's of the cover off. If it's an old golf ball (You can tell as they've usually turned light yellow over time) listen for snapping soundswhen you're doing your initial cuts.. If you hear what sounds like rubber bands breaking under the cover, get rid of that ball. You want the balls that are solid on the inside.

So by now, you have a golf ball with half the cover cut off. The inside will be one of about 20 different colors I've come across which just makes it all that much more fun. They're sollid, almost as hard as rubber or pvc and a knife or turbo carver will make short work of carving your design into the balls.

What do you carve you ask?? Carve caricatures or what ever else comes to mind. When I'm done, I usually drill about a 3/16" hole in the bottom and stick a golf tee in it, then glue that to a little flat piece of wood. Add a brass plate to it and you can put "Worlds worst golfer" or something like that on it.

Always, ALWAYS use a carving glove when you're cutting on the interior, especially if you're using a carving knife.. Round objects tend to let your knife blade slip off more, leaving you without a thumb or finger. Or at the least a big Owwie.

Enjoy.

BTW, when I'm using my Turbo Carver, the sound of my air compressor makes too much noise so, I took some oxygen hose (1/4" dia I believe) from my father when he had a lot of extra and attached that to my turbo carver.. Now my air compressor can be outside my shop and I can list to Neil Young or some sweet Irish Folk music while I carve away..

Comment

I have had a SMC Turbo carver for many ears. It is wonderful for fine detail. It is important to let the tool do the work when using a turbo carver. These are not made for using a lot of pressure. At 300,000 RPMs a light touch is all that is needed. That and making sure your burrs are sharp the diamond burrs are not worn down. I have used it on many hard woods, metal and glass. In ten years I have replaced the head once, about six months ago..

Last edited by Randy; 08-08-2018, 08:44 AM.
                Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Hi Grumpy
                  I have the Vortex F5, 500,000 speed. I use it mostly for small detail work and like Randy said let the tool do the work. I get a lot of my burs from the dentist office, most dentist don't mind saving them for you.
                  Larry

Comment

Working...
                  X