Mastercarver Micro-Pro vs Ram

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercarver Micro-Pro vs Ram

Looking at these two, the handpieces look an awful lot a like. Are they indeed the same handpiece? if not ,is their performance the same? The Ram has a coiled cord, the micro-pro doesn't. Which is better? Does the coiled cord get in the way more or is it easier to use
    Thanks for your input,
    Paul

Re: Mastercarver Micro-Pro vs Ram

My mastercarver pro major issues, will not buy another one after it broke twice...same issue. My RAM a lot better but it is also a major cheap made product....I am super unhappy about the fact they can not make a profession product without charging 900 dollars. I did get a machine .....that does look like both of them and works like.... on the dental supply.....for 100 dollars on Amazon although it does not have both collets. If you do a search you will find various machines dental, manicure, wood carving machines that look just like these machines ....just different labels. Cost factor is wide....which really makes me mad about these machines, if I had to guess they all come from the same place,... all though note that the place you buy them from will say that they are not. If I had anything to say that is do a major search of complaints and other before you buy a micro carver.....of any kind. ....pros and the cons then make a choice. There are people happy with their machines and had good successful usage....I am not one of them,.....major waste of my money. I did later go buy a pro one...which I am happy about ...but not the major investment of money that was needed.

Comment

Thanks DiLeon for your very informative post. I realize that these two are probably not the best, but then, neither am I. It's just a hobby and what I want to do with it is make small relief carvings for small signs and such. I could do it with My MasterCarver flex-shaft but that flex-shaft is such a hassle. Also, I saw in a video where one was used to make a woodspirit on a walking stick.

Speaking of dental supply do you think those machines for around a $100 US would have the same torque and power as do the Ram and Micro-Pro. If they do $100 sure beats $200!

Comment

I have been using a Ram for several years with no problems. The handpiece fits my hand, the collets and bits are not expensive. I use it especially when carving to enhance some of my wood turnings, bowls, boxes etc.
        "...that's just my opinion, I could be wrong"

Comment

Thanx Jim. How's the vibration? Is it hard to hold?

Comment

Well after doing a lot of searching on google, amazon, ebay and the dental lab suppliers I find that the micro-pro champion is made for a number of different "brands" is also sold direct from South Korea. I have even found it on Amazon for $106 US including shipping!

Still looking but I think I have settled on a Ram.

Comment

I have used both the Ram and the Mastercarver. The hand pieces seem identical and have lasted a similar amount of time. AboUt a year and a half under heavy use. I have gone through at least 10 micro motors. The weak point is the controller. They fail fairly quickly. I use a Gesswein two station. The first one I had lasted twenty years and that's after being dropped several times. I use a $100 eBay dental tool with the 3/32 collet on one and I buy just the Mastercarver hand piece for I think around $170 with the 1/8" collet on the other station. No changing collets or sleeves and the besides being bomproof, the Gesswein can be operated blindfolded. It has a great user interface.

Comment

Hi Ron thanks for replying! Gesswein seem like a real professional tool. I would get it if I could. Do you think the handpieces of the Ram and microcarver tool may be interchangeable? Do they each run on about 0-30 volts from the controller? I don't understand the way the burrs are attached on the marathon champion from Amazon. They don't seem to have a collet yet these ~100$ tools has the same name: Marathon Champion and look the same. What do you think?

Comment

I use just the Gesswein controller. I have several Mastercarver micro pros as well as a marathon. They marathon tools that are not the brushless models use the same plug as the Ram and Micropro. The marathon quick change collet is the same as the others. I plug them all into the Gesswein controller.

Comment

Hi, This Mastercarver. Just for the record, genuine Mastercarver brand Micro-Pro Champion units sold since 2014 are completely redesigned. For example, Micro-Pro handpieces now exclusively use NSK bearings (made in Japan). The Mastercarver Micro-Pro's are NOT made in China.

Cheap “made in China” knock-off units may look similar and fool many users, but are not the same. When the inferior Chinese bearings (or other parts) of the knock-off unit fails, the cheap price is no bargain. We constantly get technical support, service questions and parts requests for these inferior knock-off units (sometimes within weeks after purchase). Unfortunately, the sellers of these knock-off units are not supportive. Some sellers have told users to contact us for service or parts!

Unfortunately, we (mastercarver.com) are unable to help buyers of knock-offs since these are not our machines. Despite looking similar, most parts simply are not interchangeable. Unlike, knock-offs, genuine Mastercarver brand Micro-Pro units feature, 1-year warranty coverage, lifetime free technical support, full parts availablity and service all from a 62-year-old USA company!

Major international wood carving magazines (including Wood Carving Illustrated) have reviewed and highly rated the Mastercarver brand Micro-Pro Champion. Also top wood, gourd and jewelry teachers and artists use and recommend the Mastercarver brand Micro-Pro Champion. Reputable dealers worldwide sell and support genuine Mastercarver brand Micro-Pro Champion units. Hopefully, this information helps clarify these issues.

Comment

After a long ten year research,I discovered they are manufactured in South Korea, I personal talked
                      over the phone with the Director of the Factory and he informed me that these machines were made
                      for various Dental Suppliers under different names! I have purchased three of these machines a few
                      years back from 'Canyon State' Dental Suppliers, they still work great !
                      Oscar

Comment

Working...
                      X