dewalt rotary tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dewalt rotary tool

anyone use one? I am thinking of it for like a handheld rotary like a dremel application. just wondering seems like it would be more heavy duty than the standard dremels etc

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW660-C...ds=rotary+tool

Re: dewalt rotary tool

I wouldn't mind trying that one myself. like that it has the dual size collets.
    Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

probably a good tool, but it looks a little bulky

Comment

I don't see how you could hold on to that doing anything very fine or delicate. The big plastic ring on the front would sure have to go. And I think it would be very tiring to use for very long. JMHO

Comment

Maybe on larger carving, but it looks to be kind of awkward for smaller carvings···roughing out maybe, Just my $0.02. . .JoeB
          . . .JoeB

Comment

That is the dewalt version of the RotoZip, not variable speed- 30,000 rpm, little lower than top speed on a dremel or similar. Ring is metal as is the mount to hold it. Its intended for contractors, designed for cutting electrical boxes in drywall, tile, cementboard. It would be a handful.

I have not used one, I do have a few thousand hours with a router in my hands. If it has anything like the torque of a router you'll need to hang on. Not very expensive.
            Buffalo Bif
            www.bflobif.com

Comment

I'd have to go along with Brian. That's a construction tool. Probably work fairly well on larger carvings like small details for chainsaw carving but trying to use it on work that you could also use a Dremel might be a bit much. No matter how it's used you'll need big hands and a lot of strength to control the tool.

Comment

that's what I was afraid of guys, glad I asked for opinions. thanks.

Comment

A person could use this along with a router speed control, for things that need a heavier duty tool than a Dremel. Also, notice that it can use bits with 1/4 inch shanks. That could mean things like bigger sanding drums or cutting burrs.

Comment

I bought a RotoZip to outline the body shapes for 120+ caterpillars, down to 1.25\". At 30K rpm, it is a handful but it did the job very well, went down in 2 passes with a 1/8\" spiral bit.
                    1. Don\'t see any accessories but Dremel stuff fits. How well those parts hold up at 30K, I have not tried yet.
                    2. The brushless motor design can\'t be used with a speed controller.
                    Brian T

Comment

I'm currently using the newer DEWALT DWS779 12-Inch model and I think it's a pretty good model.

Comment

Have had 2 dremels both have been a disaster due to quality issues related to poor construction methods. Great when they are going for some jobs just they don't tend to keep on going for long. Had real issues with internal power connections failing to make contact. Have to pull the thing apart now and then and clean it all up and tweak things a bit to keep it going. Not at all a good look really.

I'm using an NSK presto at present. Have not done much with it yet but it looks to be real good for fine detail. Hope to make a fine wall bowl with penetration patterns soon so will see how it goes on that.
                        Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 12-19-2020, 04:02 AM.

Comment

The Dremels last about a year on heavy work, the thing is that the Chinese cheap ones perform the same and much cheaper. Waiting for the Chinese to improve the rotary tool ...then it will be worth it. Sad no one has created a rotary tool nor a flex shaft that lasts a long time.

Comment

DW tool is really for wallboard, tile, wood walls and some counter tops to cut holes for electrical out lets and pluming. I am not sure it would be as versatile as other choices. like Foredom other rotary tools made for carving.
                            We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by FaithMillsM2V View Post
                              I'm currently using the newer DEWALT DWS779 12-Inch model and I think it's a pretty good model.
                              Also I couldn't decide for a long time but your topic and this article https://thetoolscout.com/best-slidin...nd-miter-saws/ which a friend advised me to read, helped me decide on the choice of a high-quality saw. I am very happy with the choice, as this saw meets all my requirements and has been working without problems for a long time. I advise everyone to pay attention to this manufacturer.
                              Last edited by FaithMillsM2V; 12-20-2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X