X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• susieq
    replied
    Re: Do Use Variable Speed On Dremel

I have both Dremels and Foredoms and they\'re OLD. I mostly run the Dremels at full speed unless sanding or using a carbide as they usually burn at higher speeds. I know some of my Dremels are pushing 15 years old.... My Foredom is older and has been used hard. The large handpiece finally gave out and I bought a replacement.

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

with any power carver I have, whether its foredom or mastercarver or dreml I run it at half speed. maybe its just me but I find that the machine, cables whatever seem to last a lot longer.

Leave a comment:

• Steev
    replied

I found a variable speed Dremel knock-off on sale and got that. Thanks for the input.

Leave a comment:

• Gypsy31
    replied

Several years back when I knew nothing about Power Tools for
    carving, I used a regular Dremel and finished a dove and I thought
    I was \\\"cheating\\\" as I did not know that many wood carvers used power tools.
    Since then I have invested a small fortune on Power Tools and their accessories,
    and have never regretted my investments.
    Oscar
    Last edited by Claude; 04-04-2015, 08:38 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied

Variable speed is a must have especially when working with different kinds of woods....what will work for one wood will not work for a different type of woods. Also different burrs and bit will work good at one speed while other need more or less speed.

Leave a comment:

• dogcatcher
    replied

I use a Harbor Freight router speed controller with my Harbor Freight rotary tool, which is a cheap version of the Dremel. It loses some power at slower speed, but works okay the way I adjust the speeds.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

I do not think you be sorry for get the variable speed, once you got it you will be nothing but grins . . .JoeB
    Last edited by joepaulbutler; 03-27-2015, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

To add a bit specificity to Sharon\'s comment: It\'s ok to run a 1/8 inch diameter carbide burr at 25,000 rpm, but it\'s not a good idea to run a 1/2 inch diameter sanding drum at 25,000 rpm - much better at 10,000 rpm...

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied

Get one with variable speeds.
    Different bits and burrs for it require different speeds.

Leave a comment:

• Steev
    started a topic Do Use Variable Speed On Dremel

Do Use Variable Speed On Dremel

I am thinking of getting a Dremel or some equivalent for some occasional light use. I do not want (cannot) spend a lot on it. One feature that seems to bump the price considerably is variable speed. Do you consider this feature a must have. I want to use the tool for light detailing.
Working...
X