Contoured Drawer Fronts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contoured Drawer Fronts

This is my first project that might, might, be considered carving. I tried it because I want to do something with my Roubo bench leg vise chop and thought this might be something I could do. I trolled here a couple months back asking for help and this was a suggestion.

This is a work in progress. A five drawer cabinet for my garage made from tiger maple. I overlapped and secured two pieces of stock and ran them through the band saw for a random edge. Then I put a 45 deg chamfer on the edges.

I purchased a King Arthur ToolsHoly Galahad dished carbide disk for an angle grinder. (I cant make that up). I sketched some random contours into each piece and removed material with the disc. I finished the contours with a Festool RO90 sander in rotary mode proceeding through the grits.

The right side of the box will be visible adjacent to the Roubo bench. I ran maple stock through the band saw to make book matched panels.

Next I made a small return piece for the left side then promptly screwed up the cut on the right side (wrong angle). (I have memory problem). To recover I constructed a two piece return. The right return will be cut back significantly and the edge will serve as the drawer pull. Reach to the right, grab the edge and pull. The drawers will not have hardware. Since it\'s been a couple weeks since I cut the three rights I have to figure how I did what I did for the other two drawers.

Then I contouring the remaining corners and finish.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LBH; 09-12-2015, 11:57 AM.
    The author does not warrant the spelling, frammer, or content contained in this post.
    I am just another Dufus on the Internet.

Re: Contoured Drawer Fronts

I really like the piece especially the wood and design. It should be on display, not hidden in a shop. IMHO
    Bill K.
    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

That is a very nice design. Wavy is really cool, and it really shows the grain. Thanks for showing.
      Carve On,
      Kadiddle

Comment

Very cool! Really adds to the cabinet.
        Terry

Comment

Your imagination serve you well sir, I take it that there will be more as you progress. . .JoeB
          . . .JoeB

Comment

great ideas !
            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

I cannot take credit for the idea. I was inspired by the Jory Brigham Organic Bed on YouTube.

He is a master furniture designer/builder with a great grasp of mid century design.
              My Inspiration:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw1B0MWhjuM

Thanks for the compliments.
              The author does not warrant the spelling, frammer, or content contained in this post.
              I am just another Dufus on the Internet.

Comment

Working...
              X