Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Portrait Commission

Hi all,

Just finished a commission to a portrait of a dog for a woman's daughter. This lady has just had cancer return after being cancer free for 4 years and it is lymphatic (spelling) so she's not sure how much longer she has with her family. There are a total of 10 to complete and this is the second one.

Comments and suggestions, as always welcome. I'm not going to paint this baby. The dog's name is Noosa and I'm posting the burning along with the original photo.

Linda

Re: Dog Portrait Commission

I'd say you captured the personality of the dog quite well. The eyes are usually the secret. Good likness! Well done.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Well done! The eyes really grab you.

Comment

lindy,

well done i am sure she will be pleased with it.

bart

Comment

Hi Lindy, the spelling is correct and depending on the type of lymphocytic cancer it is very hard to say how long. There are so many factors involved (I'm a former Oncology Social Worker and Hospice volunteer). This type of cancer attacks the lymph nodes. It sounds like she has the acute form and it's really hard to tell a prognosis. It depends on how advanced it has become. Usually when cancer recurs it usually comes back worse than before but that doesn't mean the end necessarily. There are so many factors involved but it's nice that your doing this for her.

Anyway the dog is looking good but needs some work on the face. It's missing highlights that will help bring him/her to life and the nose is off. It's really hard to jump back and forth from the photo to make the comparison of what's off but the main thing that jumps out at me is the lack of highlights in the face.

A suggestion...look at it in the mirror. It often helps tell you what the problem is. If you would like to send me both photos next to each other I can try to look at it better and give you some suggestions.

Nedra

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. This one was a real challenge with the highlights and shading because he is someone's pet not just another burning of a dog. I was terrified to take this on but I sure learned alot doing it.

Linda

Comment

Looks like a Dutch Shepherd, right? Looks real good, that brendel coloration can be tough to work through, but I think you have done it.

Not getting critical on the burn, but maybe next time take the dog outside to use natural lighting so the eyes are clear and sharp. Been taking a few pics of dogs and the flash inside gives the dog eyes a haze.

Comment

Hi Woodie,

Thanks for your kind words. She is actually a shepherd cross and they're not really sure what the cross is as she is a rescue. I agree about getting better pictures by taking them outside but since the photo was sent to me and it is a surprise I had to work with what I had.

Stay safe over there!

Linda

Comment

Looks good!..........two suggestions, I would darken the inner ears a bit and then add a highlight on the tip of the nose above the nostrils.

Jax.
                  WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Working...
                  X