Dragon Clothes Plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Clothes Plaque

I've made well over a hundred of these decorated clothes plaques over the years. I've sold them at craft shows and even at the karate school where I worked. I couldn't make enough of the martial arts themed plaques. The student loved them. The original idea for making them was to provide a place for the kids to hang up their uniforms and belts when they took them off instead of just throwing them in a pile on the floor. This year I decided to make some for my grand kids for Christmas. In the past I used a Walnut Hollow woodburning iron. These are the first that I've made using my new Coldwood. The detail is a lot sharper. Also in the past I used acrylic paints. This is the first time that I've ever used watercolors. I really like the affect. It's not quite like painting on paper but close. I like the way the colors are slightly opaque and let the wood grain show through.

Re: Dragon Clothes Plaque

Those are absolutely stunning! I especially like the way that you have blended the blue background into the art.

About every 5 weeks I have to come up with a couple of woodshop projects that go along with our school theme for that session. Around 10 months ago we were studying martial arts so I got all of my dragon books and I had the kids woodburn them into small plaques of wood but we used colored pencils for adding the color.

I tried using acrylics (even waterd down) but found that they interferred with the woodburning too much. Yours looks great using watercolors so I'll have to experiment with them in the future.

I just never thought about using watercolors so thanks for the idea! Your colors are very compelling and exactly what kid's are looking for. Now I can't wait for our next woodburning projects!! Thank's for posting those!
    Dave Brock

Comment

Very nice. I too have just tried watercolours and watercolour pencils. I love the way the colour flows yet allows not only the grain to show through but the burned shading to show through as well.

That is a lovely design, thank you for sharing it.

Linda

Comment

I really like the idea (kids hanging up clothes) and the design. The colors are outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice job i've never used watercolors but after seeing your work i'll be using them soon

Comment

Eddie....I loved it! Really nice effect with the watercolor....gonna have to try that myself. Never thought of it. Nice piece! Bonnie

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have seven grandkids so I have some others that I'm working on and will post photos of those that I can as they are completed. Most of my grandkids requested cartoon characters that would get me in hot water with a certain large corporation if I made my work public. Sounds silly, especially as I doubt that this kind of work could be considered violating anyone's rights or property but based on some personal experience it's best not to tempt fate!

Comment

It's always better to be safe than sorry. You never know where your work is going to end up after the grandkids get tired of them and most large corporations have deep pockets and frown upon copyright/trademark infringement.

When I was about 14 years old I did several oil paintings for my nieces. They were paintings of clowns that were copied from some "large corporation's trademarked clowns". At that age who knew about copyright, etc.

Anyway, the kids grew up and the paintings went who knows where but turned up years later in the home of someone I did not know but they knew me and I guess I'm luck that it was not some lawyer....LOL

I've learned that it's always best to be safe and I now respect the rights of others and take my own photos and like you, don't tempt fate. Always a smart move.

I also get amused whenever I hear of a pyro (or even a carving) instructor (nobody here) who is using other's patterns in their classes without asking their permission. My feeling is, if you are good enough to teach, you should be able to make your own patterns and not have to use someone else's!!!! Thumbs Dow Just my 2 cents!

Nedra

Comment

Nedra... I don't think that I'd worry about an after (long after) the fact incident like you described. In that case unless you signed your entire name you could always depend on Mr. Denial! But posting something on the internet, in my opinion, would be like waving a red flag in front of a bull! You'd only be tempting fate! But as you so adequately stated, it always, unless one has very deep pockets for lawyers, to be better safe than sorry.

Comment

Oh, I don't worry about the stuff I did as a kid but I do worry now. Now I usually sign my full name to pieces but back then I was into just using my first name and since there are 2 other Nedra's who are known artists I'm not going to worry....

Nedra

Comment

Nice job. Have you tried oil pencils for color? I burned a pic of a mallard and used Walnut Hollow oil pencils for color. To blend the colors I used cue tips dipped in Daler-Rowney low odor thinner. This might be a bit more time consuming though.

Comment

Scorched.... Surely you've mistaken me for someone who has artistic ability! That's nice work on the Mallard. I think that I need to practice a little more with my watercolors before get to the oil paint stage! As I said earlier or perhaps on another thread... I'm perhaps more of an illustrator than an artist.... even maybe a cartoonist because I sure can't draw! Ha! Ha!

Comment

being a student of wing chung kung fu, i take a great interest in most asian culture, mostly chinese. you hit the nail on the head with your depiction of this great asian symol. i love it.

Comment

Ni Hao and thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X