My first burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first burn

I wrote in my first post that once I figured out how to post pics there would be nothing left but the crying...Talking

This is the first and only burn I have done...a rabbit on the stock of my .410 shotgun. Took the bunny from a magazine, stripped the gun down, traced the photo and then went to town.

Still haven't shot a rabbit with this gun...might have jinxed it!

Re: My first burn

Hi Treever,

Nice job! That must have been hard to strip that down, burn it and then re-finish. Keep up the good work and I hope you burn far more bunnies that you get to shoot. Indian123

Linda

Comment

Don't worry, Lindy. Rabbit hunting is the only "fast food" diet where you actually lose weight. And even if a hunt provides meat for the pot, there are always more rabbits next year...they breed like-well you know!

Comment

Nice job on the burn and since I'm an animal lover so I actually hope that you did jinx the gun. Yes, they reproduce rapidly but they are so cute and gentle animals I don't know how anyone could shoot them let alone eat them....sorry! Hammer

Nedra

Comment

very nice! and an excellent way to show appreciation for ,and respect for gods creatures . bon apitete (spelling)

I like my bunnys on the grill with bar-b q sauce

Comment

Thanks Pyro. I appreciate the kind words from someone with far more talent than I.

As for hunting rabbits, or any other thing-I guess perhaps that's a topic for another thread-another forum-or perhaps personal messages. Let's stick to wood carving/burning, etc.

Stickman-I don't want to ruffle too many feathers and turn the subject to hunting vs. non-hunting-but I will say that gumbo is an excellent way to serve them, too.

Comment

I agree that sticking to the topic of woodburning is far more appropriate and appealing than a discussion of hunting and eating animals. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that finds the subject a bit offensive. Sorry!

Nedra

Comment

Sorry If I offended anyone.but it seems unfair for some to be able to voice there opinions because their offended about something that is legal and enjoyed by a large portion of the population.

It kinda offends me that I can't give my opinions on a perfectly legal activity .I'm sure that I'm not the only one that shares my opinion.

I agree that I don't want to get into a discussion about animal rights.

Sorry again

Nedra & linda ,I respect your feeling and will try to limit talking about such subjects.

Comment

Treever, I've been wanting to do a gun stock for awhile now but have been to chicken to try it (don't want to mess up trusty old besty)but after seeing yours I think I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a go.(pun intended!)

I didn't realise or think of it but I guess you need to strip the stock first as to protect your self from breathing in the fumes and the burning will turn out nicer

what did you use to strip the stock with ?

Comment

The .410 is a cheap $100 single shot, so I just taped off the metal and sanded it down with 60 grip to break the finish, then finer stuff to get to bare wood. I stayed away from chemical stipper because I didn't want or know how to remove the chamber/trigger assembly from the stock. I ain't no gunsmith-that's for sure. My ol' reliable 870 pump is worn to bare wood in several places, so I will probably do the same process for it.

A word of caution-know the value of your gun before you embark on such a project. If it has any collector value-don't do it! A pristine Belgian made Browning A-5 might not be a good specimen to work on! If the gun has more sentimental value than anything (as most of mine do), then just go for it.

Comment

I also have an old 870 thats worn down to the bare wood .and was thinking of putting a buck and some acorns on one side and a turkey on the other.

I hear what your saying about knowing the value of your gun before taking on such a project.very wise advice.

Comment

Stickman, you got me thinking and I realized that fall is just around the corner. Better get after my 870 project pretty quick or face another season with my tattered looking shootin' iron. I have one photo I'll use for the fore end, a drawing from a book for one side of the stock, and I'm attempting to draw a scene for the other. Find any pictures to use for your stock yet?

Comment

Your certinaly right about getting busy if its going to get done before the season starts.

No I have not found the right picture yet. I think I might draw one myself.
                          I alos am toying with the idea of carving something on it .
                          I've been trying to teach myself how to carve (still very beginner)but making progress.

I've seen 870 stocks and fore end peices on ebay for as low as 30$.I think I might try to buy one and then if I mess up its just a 30$ piece of firewood.LOL.

So you already have a picture for thre fore end.Tell Tell what do you have in mind?

Also I was thinking about placement .I probly don't want to put it where the stock comes in contact with your face.especialy if you have a beard I've had wiskers plucked out before and thats never fun.

Comment

The fore end will be a photo of my Chessie posing in front of the shed with our first black duck. She's muddy, tired, and perhaps a wee bit proud-rather I was. The piece for the side will be geese, and the cheek side I don't know. I tried to draw a scene, and it looks ok, but the detail I put in for the size it would be is probably beyond my skill with a burner! I may just draw up a wood duck and run with that.

Comment

sounds good ,maybe do a practice run on something else to see how your scene would turn out and it might help you determine what to keep or not to keep (detail wise).I see you have a chessie(Chesapeake)and one that hunts .very cool.

I have a big yellow lab but hes only a dish licker and a frisbee catcher.oh and maybe a foot warmer.

Comment

Working...
                              X