Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunflower Fairy

Hi everyone,

I finally had the time to just relax and do a burning for fun. This one is from Susan Irish's Book of Fairies. I burned it on 100 lb paper and painted using water colour pencils.

Thanks
    Linda

Re: Sunflower Fairy

great burning lindy,

paint and shading great as well, im not much of a burner but i di detail my santas and cowboys,,,

nice to see more fictional items being done,
    keep it up kid...

Comment

Nie burning and painting

Comment

I have to agree, great painting and burning. It is lovely.
        Nedra

Comment

You've found your calling! Excellent. Looks exactly like an illustration from an antique book.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone. It was a really fun piece to do and I think I'll give it to one of my nieces for Christmas. I have a total of 4 nieces so that leaves only 3 more to do for Christmas and they all love fairies.

Linda

Comment

What a wonderful image. Inspiration.....Just the thing for a new baby across the street, a nice fairy image burned on heavy paper, I believe I have some here. Great job Lindy, love the colour added.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Bob, thank you. Susan's Book of Fairies has some wonderul patterns in and I absolutely love her "explanations" of the different types of fairies.

I'm finding that when painting a burning that water colours & water colour Pencils are working the best in that you can get them quite transparent. This allows the burning to show through and still have the colour there. I have never been able to quite achieve that effect with acrylics, no matter how much I water them down. With the water colours the pigment stays true even as you thin the paint. If you're going to try the water colour pencils, what I do is went the pencil and then with a wet brush I take colour off the pencil and paint it onto the completed work. If I want, or need more shading then I'll draw a line along the edge with the pencil and with a wet brush feather the colour out. I think it's really worth playing with since as pyrographers we do want our "work" to show through and not get lost in the colour. Of course this is only my opinion.

Linda

Comment

Lindy-I think that piece is really cool and the idea of burning on paper just blew my mind...not with my cheap burner! It has two settings-OFF and H-O-T! Greeting cards come to mind-birth announcements...you could run with that.

Comment

Treever,

Believe it or not, you use a higher temperatue when bunring on paper. You do have to use 100 - 150 lb paper that is untreated, but I truly was shocked the first time I did a burning on paper to see how hot I needed to go from what I was used to with wood.

Maybe someone here has the technical understanding on why that is? I certainly don't know, but I do find it amazing.

I am doing up burned Christmas cards, and I've already done a couple of birthday cards for family members. I'm taking a look at designing some postcards and other greeting cards. I just have to come up with an "original" design so I don't run into copyright infringements.

Thanks for your comments.

Linda

Comment

Linda... I second the use of watercolors but just want to add a precaution. When sealing a watercolored project I've found it best to use an oil based sealer or a spray sealer. There is a tendency for the colors to run when trying to apply a waterbased sealer by brush. I know that this problably sounds pretty basic but DUH! I had to learn the hard way and screwed up a very nice plaque that I was making for one of my grandchildren.

Comment

Lindy, I think you are trying to trick me into burning down my house...HA!

Comment

Working...
                        X