Hey Stickman-and anyone else for that matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Stickman-and anyone else for that matter

I caught a wild hare today (that's just an expression, everyone) and went bonkers on my gun. It's amazing the layers of gunk, oil, stain on the wood. Took a flurry of sanding, but I'm getting very close to where I want to be.

Stickman-just grab some sandpaper and go! Don't worry about it, man...if you don't sand it soon, you won't do it in time for fall!

FYI-if you are trying to sand down the checkering, like I did on the fore end, beware that, I believe, it's burned in, and somewhat deeply. I had to sand down 1/16" if I had to guess. Test piece? I'm somewhat impulsive, if you couldn't tell, and I'll probably just go for it. What the heck!

Before and after pictures attached.

Re: Hey Stickman-and anyone else for that matter

Remington 870, correct?

What do you have planned for it? I could see a ruffed grouse, goose or maybe a mallard drake swinging by.

Comment

wow ! your like johnny on the spot .when you say your going to do something you do it .I like that .Nice job on the sanding.How long did all that sanding take ?

Don't look like I'm going to get a chance to start anything soon I leave for vacation on sat.and when I return my 8 yr old starts fall baseball and I help coach .I have 2 boys 8 and 5 yrs old kind of makes it tough to find time for myself.I probly won't get to do anything until the snow flies.

please keep me updated on your progress !

Comment

Yep, a Rem 870. Ol' Reliable. It's been through a lot, so whether I was going to do this or not, it had to be refinished. Sanding took a while until I smacked my forehead and remembered I own a palm sander. That made things go faster.

I hear you on kids. Got a 4 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. Take any free time I can get!

Comment

Got the picture traced on the fore end, and on the cheek side of the stock. Tried to take pic's but the faint lines and flash washed them out. Hope to get hot metal on wood tomorrow some time.

Comment

OK, today's progress. The picture taking is tough as the lines are still pretty light, and I have a hard time getting a non-blurry shot. But here's what I have so far, and the photo I am using.

Comment

Treever, Great likeness. It's hard to capture the likeness of a pet, but you have. Keep on showing us your progress. It's going to look great.. Tom H
              http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice looking dog, nice backgroundCheers

Comment

treever, nice job looks like your off to a steller start.

Comment

Thanks, folks. I just keep at it...didn't know if it would turn out as I imagined, but it's coming out perhaps even better. Saturday's progress is below.

Question...I think I am done, as I will be staining the stock again. Is the stain going to mask my lines and thus lose detail, or does it depend on the darkness of stain/oil I use?

Comment

Yes, the stain is going to affect the lines. How about darkening the shading on the dog. Afterall, he is a black dog and right now you have the background and the "dead bird" darker than he is. He should have highlights as in the photo but the black should be darkened or he will fade into the wood when you apply the stain. Right now you have the background with the bird as the focal point and I would think that you want that gorgeous dog as the focal point.

Nedra

Comment

Thanks, Nedra. I keep looking at the piece and know it isn't right...Yes, I need to darken the dog and make her the focal point. I won't tell her you called her a "him", but will pass along to her that you think she's gorgeous. And she looks black in the photo, but only because she is soooo muddy. She's brown under all that gunk! Took a long washing before my wife would let her in the house.

My biggest fear was that it will turn into a big charred blurr, but the duck turned out well and comparing the darkness of the bird to her...she's just a touch lighter, with dark shades the same as the bird. Guess I need to shake that fear off and keep burning!

Comment

The efforts of a few more hours on Sunday. The flash is washing it out a bit, as she's pretty darn dark.

Comment

Looks much better but don't be afraid to go darker. Not black but chocolates are pretty dark and you do want HER to stand out. You might try taking a photo in bright light but without the flash. Then you can adjust the brightness and contrast in your computer. That's what I try to do and it usually works.

Nedra

Comment

That is coming along beautifully! Love the work you're doing on that and I can't even imagine doing all the prep work you did!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X