Wip K9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wip K9

A burn for one of the handlers here. Been working on and off the last couple days here and there.

Re: Wip K9

Very nice! How do you get wood supplies "over there"? Military dogs are incredible. I once saw a video intitled "War Dogs"...perhaps it was Dogs of War...anyway, it was about the dogs and handlers in Vietnam. Great story and a bit of a tear-jerker as well.

Comment

What wood I have I brought from the states, hope I do not get too carried awayHammer

War Dogs is a good doumentary, used to show it to my students when I was a K9 instructor at Lackland, AFB TX

Comment

Nice job Woodie! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

What kind of a burning rig are you using? How did you manage to fit it in your gear bag with all the other stuff you guys are required to haul around?

A very good friend of mine, who has since passed on from an Agent Orange related illness, was a dog handler in Nam. He loved his dogs. He once told me that they saved his butt more than once.

Comment

Eddy,
          I have a Colwood burner, it does not take up too much room and a few pieces of wood, picked up a few more pieces while on R/R leave (rounds of plywood so it did not take up much room at all).

Still got a few more things to add.

Got to love the dogs, best partners I have ever worked with and they ask for so little in return.

Comment

Hi WOODIE13, I like your K9 woodburning and I'm sure his handler will display it proudly. Doesn't look like you have to much more to do?
            Kathy

Comment

Just a little darkening along the muzzle and eye (took a pic of the burn and photo together to help see any shortcomings). Got to burn his name, # and operation on it, should be done in an hour or so tonight.

Sometimes I am my own worst critic, anybody else suffer from this malody?

Comment

Woodie...

If you start running low on wood to burn...just yell! It's a sure bet that a lot of the folks on this forum would be more than happy to send you some!

Very nice job on Fido! Don't be so hard on yourself.

Comment

Woodie.....wonderful K9 burning! Your friend will love it, I'm sure.....and I'm with Eddie.....you run low, give us a holler, my friend! Take care of yourself over there, be safe, and God Bless! Bonnie

Comment

Finished it up last night, little darkening of the muzzle and eyes, added the lettering. Gave it to the handler, he liked it so much, he wants me to do another one

Comment

very nice job Woodie

Nedra

Comment

Woodie,

Very nicely done. I third what other burners have said, you need wood or anything let us know and we'll some sent over to you. I have a nephew in Afganistan and it would be nice to think that strangers, okay maybe we're not quite so strangers, just strange, would support him during his time there.

Linda

Comment

Appreciate the kind words and offer. Will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by WOODIE13
                            Finished it up last night, little darkening of the muzzle and eyes, added the lettering. Gave it to the handler, he liked it so much, he wants me to do another one
                            The first one's free...the second one will cost him!

Comment

Treever? You ever spent any in a fire zone or aboard ship? I can't say that I'd charge an old fox hole buddy or a ship mate even today....even for a second one. I'd kind of look at it as an honor. What Woodie's making will in all likelyhood be cherished for the rest of that guy's life. Those kind of memories are precious.

Back in my days of being an Ironman (ha! ha!) on a Wooden Ship we had a guy who was our leading radarman. He was an artist and would spend his time sitting around sketching portratits from magazines. Somewhere around the mid-60's ( I imagine that I could pin the exact time down if I Googled it) a gal by the name of China Lee was a Playboy center fold. He sketched her and it became tradition to tack up that sketch everytime that we got underway for Vietnam. That wouldn't be particulary politically correct in todays co-ed Navy but times were different back then. Anyway, when I was transferred I took that picture with me and still have it today....fond memories of another time. I woud imagine that the same will hold true when Woodie's buddy looks at those burnings of his dog forty years from now.... no, he'll hang on to it all right!

Comment

Working...
                              X