Burnings to share...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnings to share...

Hi, all....don't post many pics, 'cause it takes me so long to do something....working on a carving now that is strictly all my own, so it will be some time before I post a pic. In the meantime, here are 3 of my woodburnings....the first two are common as they are from books, but the third is done from an old photo of my friend in NC as a baby. Thanks for letting me share...Bonnie

Re: Burnings to share...

Bonnie,

Wow!!! Beautiful detail, depth and shading! You must be very proud of those pieces, if you're not I'm sure I can find a home for them - mine. Thank you so much for sharing them, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Linda

Comment

Very nice workCheers

Comment

Great work Bonnie. You should post pictures of your work more often, we never get bored of quality woodburnings. You have a wonderful talent there. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Thanks so much, Linda, Woodie and Bob.....still shy about posting pics....there is so much fantastic talent on this forum! Thanks for the encouragement...Bonnie

Comment

And judging by these pictures....you are part of that fantastic talent on the forum! Nice job....love the baby and the impression of a foot???

Comment

Thank you, Joy!....no, the soft burn on the left is supposed to be just an impression of an arm and hand (baby on it's stomach) and the burn on the right is WAY too dark, but it was supposed to be just a suggestion of the arm....this was an old picture and I could hardly see it. I did it for the head, mostly. Bonnie

Comment

Terrific burnings, I'm impressed with the details in both the store and the ship.

Did you sketch directy on the wood or use a transfer? What type of nibs did you use?

Jax.
                WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Hi, Jax...thanks for your input....no, I didn't use a transfer...wouldn't even know how. I draw free-hand, but don't completely fill in. The general store is highly detailed with a lot of "things" going on, so I did draw only the outlines of the main objects and outer perimeters...I fill in with the burner as I go...similar with the ship, but I drew only the outline of the sails, masts and ship first...again, filling in with the burner as I go. Ran into Orchard Davis at a carving show in FL a few years back and she turned me onto her favorite tip...the Colwood round tip...not sure of the #, but it's completely round and I used that for mainly the whole thing. I have two so I could bend one for shading. Bonnie

Comment

You draw freehand? Wow! That is excellent work. Such detail!

Comment

Bonnie,

That is wonderful that you can draw freehand and burn as you go. I personally have to transfer the pattern and at this point I am either using other people's patterns or photo's off the internet. You should be very proud of your work as you've got the talent not only for burning and drawing as well!

Nice job!

LindaCheers

Comment

Hi Bonnie, I have to agree with everyone else you did an outstanding job on all of those. I know those two patterns from Walnut HOllow and I'd have to say you did better than the originals.

If you like that round pen of Orchid's some day you might want to give my favorite pen a try. You can do the tiniest details and get into all the nooks and crannies that you can't with a round tip.

It's made by Razertip and it's one that they made for me and now it's one of the biggest sellers because it is so versatile. I am also working on a modified version of it with them that is narrow to get into even tighter spaces since I"m working on a small golden eagle now that has been frustrating me with the tiniest spaces between feathers. The pen is amazing and there's not much you can't do with it.

Nedra

Comment

Thank you so much, Linda and Nedra. Yes, I am lucky I can draw, and that certainly helps me out, but I feel I am weak in the shading area and am trying to experiment a little more with portraits now. I have only done two, but want to try more. I have a lot to learn. Thank you both again for your input! Bonnie

Comment

Bonnie, shading just takes LOTS of practice but I think you are well on your way. I started burning in 99 and since there weren't any decent instructors around I had to learn through trial and error. It took me a year to figure out a style that would work for me which ended up being what I call the smooth shading technique. Once I figured out a style that would work for me I ended up selling my burner and getting a better one that would do what I needed and it then took me 2 years to really master the shading to the point that I was ready to start doing portraits. After a few portraits I finally had the confidence to continue and now portraits are one of my favorite things to do. They are not easy but if you can capture the essence of the person and not just copy it, you've mastered portraits. You're off to a good start with that one, just keep practicing shading. When I do portraits (human or animal) I always start with the eyes since they will make or break a portrait. If I get those right I keep going, if not, I start over!

Keep up the great work, you seem to be a "natural"

Nedra

Comment

I just have to echo everyone's sentiments. It's only common if it stays in the book. You have certainly made it your own.

Comment

Working...
                              X