Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a question???

Hi,
    I was not sure what the title should be,,,,,so this is just a question! It concerns shading,or highlighting, or boldness. So bear with me as I try to explain my "?"
    I have just started a new burning and I wish to make the outside lines bolder. So would I "shade" them to the outside to make that effect? Lets try to picture my thoughts. Ok lets say we have a plain square (box) and add a ball or circle in the middle of that box. In order to "bring out" the shape of the box,,,would you shade to the outside? And then likewise shade to the inside the ball? I am using a Razortip meduim spear tip on basswood. Any and all help will be appriecated. Thanks ddt

Re: Just a question???

You could try to angle the tip a little to get it darker. Like you stated, just do the opposite sides of the objects. You could try stippling, use of many dots along the edge and gradually decrease as you work away from the lines, or you could try cross hatch, series of lines that cris cross, then shade it in.

Al Chapman has a good book, "Learning the Art of Pyrography" and has these techniques listed. It helped me tremendously.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
      Hi,
      I was not sure what the title should be,,,,,so this is just a question! It concerns shading,or highlighting, or boldness. So bear with me as I try to explain my "?"
      I have just started a new burning and I wish to make the outside lines bolder. So would I "shade" them to the outside to make that effect? Lets try to picture my thoughts. Ok lets say we have a plain square (box) and add a ball or circle in the middle of that box. In order to "bring out" the shape of the box,,,would you shade to the outside? And then likewise shade to the inside the ball? I am using a Razortip meduim spear tip on basswood. Any and all help will be appriecated. Thanks ddt
      I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish and since I don't outline anything I can only tell you how I create "edges" which is done with shading. I think the best way to tell you how to create an edge, which is done with shading is to tell you to go look at my website. Look at the pyrography 101 tutorials and look at the one on Razaertip pens. The HD5MP Bent spear shader you will see a demo of how the pen creates shading and a natural edge. Here's a link to it: http://www.nedraspyrography.com/Pyro...zertipPens.htm
      It's the 1st pen listed.

It's done by having your pen moving as you land on the wood and coming down in motion slowly. There will be no blob doing it this way and if you continue in the same manner slowly moving the down or up each time you land it will create the same smooth shading with a natural edge rather than outlined. It's very hard to describe it here without a visual demonstration and I don't want to use this site to advertise but I do have step by steps in my books on how to use shading to create a natural edge rather than outlining. I don't do pointilism or hatching or the others but you can accomplish the same thing with most techniques.

Nedra

Comment

DDT - Perhaps if you posted a picture of what your project is we could be of more assistance to you as then we would have a visual. The good news is that there are as many ideas as there are pyrographers here. I personally would love to see what you're working on.

Comment

Hi,
          I have no idea as to know to post a picture, and most likely it would be too hard for me to do it anyway! I have skinned the cat by a different method, so moving on! I guess we all have our approach to things, and I was not happy with want I was seeing on the wood. It is getting better now,,,,BIG GRIN! I am working on 4 burnings now,,,but hope to get this one done before Oct. so i can enter it in a show. If you like I can send you a picture "privatley", that is the only way I know to do pictures! Thanks for your help,,ddt

Comment

DDT - please do send it to me. I'll PM you with the email addie.

Linda

Comment

Working...
            X