Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Built Burner

Hi All
    I have finally got a burner built and working for under $100 Canadian $$, thanks to Al Archie's schematic and part number(transformer). cost include pen cord and pen(Colwood)
    Bruce
    Attached Files

Nicely done, clever idea.
    . . .JoeB
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks Joe
      There was a bit of trial and errot to building the unit, I purchased a lot of things on Ebay shipped from China, saved a bunch of money that way. About the only thing I couldn't find Ebay was the transformer, which I got from Allied Electrons in Canada.
      I enjoy tinkering with stuff.
      Bruce

Comment

I wish I could read schematics, I see a lots of thing that look like they would be useful.
        . . .JoeB
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe
          The schematic that Al Archie drew was easy to follow, I am not a electronic wizz by any means, just took one wire at a time approach, and double check toe connection to the schematic sevral time before I put the power on the unit
          I have a burner that was home built that I bought on Ebay, it works like a charm, so does the two I just built(saved a bit of cash by getting multi units of indicator lights, toggle switches, dimmer switches and transformers)
          The plan right now is to sell these two units to the our carving club, if any members want a unit I have parts to build them one
          Bruce

Comment

Hey Gang
            I sold one of my home built burners,somebody is looking at the second one, maybe a new career is in the tea leaves for me LOL
            Bruce

Comment

Hope your new found profession doesn't go up in smoke. (Giggle)

Tinwood

Comment

Hi Tinwood
                I am very careful about what I have plugged in and what end of the wire I an holding,I just like to tinker with other things to get a break from carving. I think to have a burner using colwood replaceable tips and handle for under a $100 is a good deal, compared to the factory units at $200 ,and kind of fun building them

Bruce

Comment

Just joshin' with you Bruce. I'm pretty sure that you'd have a good respect for the sparky stuff. I've got a burner that I bought some years ago from a supplier near Hamilton that requires you to make your own tips from platinum wire (which they initially supplied a length of) and now that I need more wire, I pretty near had a coronary over the price. So, like you, I'm going to look into something I can retrofit and get replaceables for at a reasonable cost.

Comment

Hi Tinwood
                    Would the guy in Hamilton be Gene?
                    I bought a burner last year on Ebay , it had a sticker on it Genes woodcarving supplies, it is a home built, work's good. It had the same type of handle as you discribe, I cut the cord off of mine ordered a colwood cord,replaceable tip handle and replaceable tips from Greg Dorrance company, colwood has great variety of tips. That is quick option for you
                    Bruce

Comment

Yup that would be him. Can't remember how old that thing is but it does the job. I'll have to check your recommendation out. If I have any questions can I PM you?

Tinwood

Comment

Hi Tinwood
                        Pm if you got ant more questions, I have pics of the one I built with colwood wire and pen plus tip
                        Bruce

Comment

Is there a chance of getting a copy of the schematic? I would really like to build one my self.

Comment

Hi Gene
                            I will direct you to in this forum, I source everything except the transformer on Ebay,I will look up the # of the schematic
                            Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce, Saw the schematic that was on the long forum, and it appears that the transformer is wired backwards. Will wait for you info, thanks, Gene.

Comment

Working...
                              X