Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpen burner tips

Hi Y'all
    Just wondering if one is supposed to sharpen the edges of ones burner tips or not?
    Bruce

Although I've never done it I know it can be done. I think a few strokes over some very fine (1600 grit) sandpaper will do the trick. I'm someone else here will have some good advice.
    Keep On Carvin'
    Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Thanks Bob
      I have done the sandpaper trick,ggod way to keep the carbon build up to a minimum
      Bruce

Comment

You cn also do it on a leather strop with some honing compound........Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Thanks
          Tom for this info, I will pass it on at the club meeting tonight.
          Bruce

Comment

Bob K is right, I have always used a very fine sand paper, however I used the sand paper
            used by Auto Painters which works well on metal and just about lasts forever.
            Oscar

Comment

I clean both my soldering iron and razor rip with some fine metal sandpaper. It's a must have for me since I use these two tools often.

Comment

Thanks Oscar,
                I have used1200 grit wet paper on my knives,so why not on the burner tips

Comment

Hi SW
                  I always thought you were supposed to leave some solder on the soldering iron, like a real thin coat
                  Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                    Hi SW
                    I always thought you were supposed to leave some solder on the soldering iron, like a real thin coat
                    Bruce
                    I believe they are talking about wood burning tips , not soldering ?????
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                      Hi SW
                      Bruce
                      Yes, that's right but every now and then I get a bit of corrosion along the edges so I give it a quick swipe and polish it up a bit. The flux in solder can make a mess so between that and some rubbing alcohol it gets nicely cleaned up.

Comment

Thanks SW for the clarification
                        , have a super fine day
                        Bruce

Comment

Hot soldering irons can be wiped clean on a wet cellulose sponge. The stand for my fine iron came with both sponge and dish.
                          True, the copper tip needs to be "tinned" to prevent corrosion even though that always happens, sooner or later.
                          In a past life, I built fire control systems for commercial and theatrical fireworks F/X.

Some people think that 800 grit is a "fine grade of sandpaper."
                          To tune up a pyrographic tip, 2 or 3 wipes each side on 1500 or finer is enough. Like honing a gouge.
                          Brian T

Comment

Thanks RV
                            Bruce

Comment

Working...
                            X