Walnut Hollow Deluxe kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut Hollow Deluxe kit?

Hi- just wondering if the deluxe Walnut Hollow kit is worth buying? On Amazon the red handled kit gets poor ratings because of nibs breaking off.

Pyro...woodburning is like woodcarving...get the best quality you can at first, as you will not be disappointed. I have a Walnut Hollow tool, that I use for basic stuff around the shop. When I really decided I would pursue the hobby, I purchased a Colwood Detailer with a pen that has the ability to replace tips easily.

If this is all you can afford right now, that is understandable. Just my .02!

Comment

I have the Walnut Hollow Deluxe VersaTool Kit. If I decide to do more pyrography, I'll be investing in a RazerTip or Colwell setups. For a few low-heat touches here and there it's fine.

I'm not sure if mine is defective or not, but after about five minutes of use, the temperature drops to about medium and will not get hotter. That might be fine for some light-touch details with a thin tip, but it's a pain for my purposes. For the price range, it certainly is the best you can get off the shelf. That being said, wait for JoAnn Fabrics to have a 50% off regular price coupon and get it there. That makes it an investment of less than $20.00. You can do that online, or in the store, whichever is convenient for you.

Comment

Hi Pyro and DL
        If you live in the US I would look into building your own burner, the schematic drawing is on the forum under the heading pyrography, I built two of them and use colwood cords and replaceable tip pens, you should be able to build a unit for $60 US$
        I can send you pics of one I built via private message
        Bruce

Comment

Love to see the pics. I want to pursue this so maybe That's a good idea. There is a wall lenk with rheostat I'm looking at for 45.00 that should get pretty hot.

The Little old one I have will only burn on flat nice wood. Not on home depo pine boards. Is sanding smooth / flat a regular ordeal with pine boards?

Comment

Hi Pyro
            I will send you the schematic drawing by private messaging
            Bruce

Comment

Pyro..... Plain and simple. Unless you absolutely do not have the $100 for a basic Colwood and see no way to save it up, then stay away from Walnut Hollow. These gentlemen, like myself are speaking from experience. Most of us didn't have this forum when we started and our first burner was a Walnut Hollow. Basically it's just a step up from a soldering iron whereas a basic Colwood is a good beginners through intermediate burning tool with lots of options for tips that can even move it into the expert range.

Comment

scotiacarver I would love to see your plans. I'm not sure I'll have the wherewithal to make one myself, but I would love to consider it. A Colwell is still a bit out of my budget when I'm still working on building my bench system to do what I want.

Comment

To move forward with this topic... does anyone have a lead on a different woodburning kit under the $100 mark that is better than Walnut Hollow?
                  (Closer to "under $50" would probably be even more helpful.)

Comment

I am getting a used Wall Lenk for the time being, with a rheostat. I'll let you know how it goes in a Couple weeks

Comment

Everyone has to do what their pocket book can afford and what feels right for them but you need to understand that comparing a Walnut Hollow or a Wall Lenk, even with a rheostat, to a Colwood Detailer is like trying to compare apples to oranges. I urge you not to invest too much in pencil wood burning systems. Greg Dorance Company has the Colwood Cub, an entry level Colwood burner for under $55.00. The only other thing you'd need is a handpiece and the tip of your choice. I know a gentleman who does professional looking pyrography art and used a "Cub" for years before he moved up to a "Detailer." Just a thought.

Comment

• Donna_T
                        Donna_T commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I, too, started with the Walnut Hallow and agree that it's just a step up from a basic soldering iron. I've used the Colwood CUB for over 20 years and love it. I use it for birds, animals, and everything else with good results. One good hand piece would be a great start.

Buying the Walnut Hollow will discourage you from wanting to use it. I have one, the Versa tool version, it is "okay", but I also have a Colwood Cub. One was a gift and the other one I bought, the bottom of the barrel Colwood is my choice when I start playing with pyro. The Walnut Hollow does get used, it is in my travel bag, small enough that it goes with me when we hit the road for a few days. It is like the Flexcut pocket knife, a great travel companion.

Comment

For me, the Walnut Hollow tool was a waste of money. Sure, in the right hands, it can produce great stuff (LS Irish for example), but it is very cumbersome, the heat isn't very consistent, and the variety of tips are mostly useless. I have owned several of this type, before I finally spent the money for a Colwood detailer. Wow! Like changing from crayons to a fine ink pen! It made a tremendous improvement in my work and the details I am able to achieve and is worth every penny. I bought the hand piece that takes the replaceable tips, but have found that I really only use 3 or 4 tips at the most. I think the Cub or the Detailer model would be a much better investment and is more comfortable to use.
                        'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                        http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ok great info. If I get some work out of the one I got and they sell I would upgrade to a decent colwood. Maybe a used one someone here has for sale.
                          I think you all know how it goes though. Sometimes it's easier to but the tools than produce the work.

Comment

Working...
                          X