Bark on wood slices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bark on wood slices

I am working on items for Christmas. I cut oak slices about 3/8" thick, 3" diameter for ornaments. I plan to wood burn on them and would like to have the bark stay on. Is there a way to seal/preserve them so the bark does? I have googled and found many different answers. Thought I would pick your brains. Thanks
    Last edited by deancarlsen; 07-28-2017, 07:31 AM.
    Dean

Hi Dean, What I always do and seems to work is , I put about 3 Good Coats of Poly U on the Piece. I really Soak the Bark . That is Simple and Holds Good. I did that on the Rotted pieces of Walnut and is Fine. Merle

Comment

Hi Dean
      You can always use an air compressor and a brad nailer, leaves very small holes
      Bruce

Comment

I will try poly u. Thanks
        Dean

Comment

Hi Dean, I don't think you will Sorry. Try it on a Piece of Scrap first to be sure. Merle

Comment

Hey Dean, looking forward in hearing your results on your Bark Problem. Merle

Comment

I wood burned the slices and painted highlight areas. I am buying the poly u this weekend and will let you know. Thanks
              Dean

Comment

Hi Dean, Don't try to cover the Bark in 1 Coat , I found about 3 good Coats works well. Merle

Comment

I put 3 coats on today. Ornaments are ready to go. Thanks for the suggestion Merle.
                  Dean

Comment

Hi Dean, Your Welcome , Glad to have Helped. Merle

Comment

Working...
                    X