X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nibs from crock pot/slow cooker wire

Hey!
    long time since i have been here.

I am going to attempt to make some nibs from the wire out of my old crock pot that i just finished off with a hammer to get the wires out with.
    The wire is super thin, about the thinness of a few hairs.
    Some of the wire has radix wire stamped on the coating. I looked that up and it says it is made from nickel plated copper and takes temperatures up to about 1050 F.
    I figure if the wire out of an old toaster will work to make nibs, this stuff ought too also. I hope any way!
    I'll use it in my razor tip pens that have the screws.
    I have made my own nibs before with wire I sent for with the pens. That was fun.

So, not sure when I will be back on here, but when I do, I will post my success or failure.
    Hopefully no serious injuries will result from this attempt.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

And of course i will remove the coatings off the wires before I under take this project.

Comment

Is that wire the right size? The crock pot was probably 117VAC and I'll guess that the RazerTip unit is a much lower voltage.
      But, plug it in and "smoke test" it!

Comment

Hope it works for you Sharon, Too bad you won't be eating for awhile.

Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I have seen different gauges of the proper wire on Ebay real cheap out of china, might save a lot of crock pots LOL
          Bruce

Comment

I saved the crock and lid from the slow cooker. I'm going to ferment sauerkraut in it. I figure i can probably get another 20 years out of it in one way or another!

Comment

Let me know how you get on.
              I inherited a beautiful nested set of 3 Polish sauerkraut crocks, made in southern Alberta..
              Every batch has been black and furry so I quit.

Comment

So why I am I bothering to strip wire out of my old crock pot?
                Well......for one thing it's just fun to bust and tear things up once in a while!
                Another reason, I am very much into recycling, re purposing and reusing and not just for saving our resources and planet, but because I am cheap, frugal, kind of broke and we try to make do with what we have if we can.
                At the moment i can't afford to buy to many extras, so with a little effort, I now have wire I don't have to pay for and also don't have to wait for it to get to my house.

Not everything has to be the most expensive or name brand or the popular to work effectively. In the past when I used to be on here a lot, lots of people couldn't afford to buy the so called best tools like they were told by well meaning folks. Some got discouraged and never came back. I always wondered if they just gave up altogether on carving and wood burning because they were afraid to go the cheaper, less traveled route.

Anyway, I try stuff like this because I am a knot head and if it works, I want to share it for people like me that don't have a whole lot of bucks laying around to prove you can still have fun.

Comment

These are the wires I gutted from the cooker.

Comment

I used to strip old industrial electronics equipment for the parts. I'd buy stuff in gov't asset sales, 8 cents a pound for OK stuff, 10 cents per pound for what might be really good. Once got a vacuum pump worth hundreds.

One thing to make is a feather cutter for the fletchings on home-made arrows. Another would be a tool for carving big blocks/sheets of Styrofoam that you run across every once in a while ( stinky fumes).

Comment

Hi Sharon! Great to see you posting here again! Sounds like you cooked up a cool project. Be sure to post some pics of the completed nibs.
                      Terry

Comment

Hi Sharon, Thrifty little Bugger you are . Good to see that your still KICKING and Doing things that your Big Imagination wants you to do, Merle

Comment

Working...
                        X