Colwood Wood Burner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colwood Wood Burner

I have never done any wood burning and I have been reading up on Colwood Detailers. I am wanting one to mainly highlight my carvings. I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge about this particular wood burner. It has good reviews from what I read, but I was hoping some of you may have one. Any advice is appreciated.
    gouge

Hi! I have a Colwood Detailer. Bought it about a year ago and I couldn't be happier with it. I started out with a walnut hollow versa tool and, while it is a fine burner, it couldn't keep up. Lost its temp constantly. The Colwood heats up instanly- maybe a minute- and holds its temp. I bought the burner and 5 tips that I thought I would use. Everything from fine lines to shading. They also have bent tips that are wonderful for my arthritic hands. Be sure and get the finger guards. It does get hot. I love mine. I use it everyday. Cant say enough good things about it.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls... Pablo Picasso
    Becky

Comment

I've had mine for probably 8-9 years, getting to use it more and more, well pleased
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Gouge
        I built my own burner from schematic on WCI by Al Archie. I use Colwood pens and tips, works like a charm for me
        Bruce

Comment

I have one, and I love it! I have had mine for about 9 years like Joe, and it does everything I want and more!

I was in Peter Engler's tool shop in Branson in November, and they showed me a new Colwood burner that has a digital display with a heat sensor. It senses the heat of the pen and keeps the heat consistent so you get a more consistent burn. That is way more sophisticated that what I am using mine for, but for someone that was really into the hobby, it might be worth checking out!

Comment

I have owned one for about 9 years and it is great. I primarily use it on the lower heat settings and only use about three tips for burning my carvings:
            a rounded heel skew tip for most lines and deepening shadows on carvings
            a writing point tip that actually works better for pontillism
            a small ball tip that I use for signing carvings

I just use a pen that allows me to use the replaceable tips.
            'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
            http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. From what you all have said, it looks like I will be ordering one very soon.
              Thanks again
              gouge

Comment

I got one of these : https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6M...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from Amazon for emergencies. It could fit in a shirt pocket or most other storage areas. I have seen it boil water for coffee, but I got it to burn chips and scraps in the event of power outage and before I get the propane burners up and going. Many different types. I figure if I have trouble lighting wet wood in the fireplace, this little unit will be a firestorm under a batch of sticks to light them. Or once going dump it on the sticks and start making more. I have had the large wood stoves that heat a whole home. I could load three sticks of wood at a time - be 1/2 log or 1/3... and they would light with newspaper. Air came from the basement. So the house could be tight. We always kept a draft going in the house - simply to help get out indoor pollution. I could take 20" but bought shorter to be easier.

Comment

I have had my Colewood for at least seven years....great machine in my book.

Comment

I had a Razertip Burner for years and switched to Colewood Burner about 2 years ago and couldn't be Happier , very good Product. Merle

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
                      I got one of these : https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6M...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from Amazon for emergencies. It could fit in a shirt pocket or most other storage areas. I have seen it boil water for coffee, but I got it to burn chips and scraps in the event of power outage and before I get the propane burners up and going. Many different types. I figure if I have trouble lighting wet wood in the fireplace, this little unit will be a firestorm under a batch of sticks to light them. Or once going dump it on the sticks and start making more. I have had the large wood stoves that heat a whole home. I could load three sticks of wood at a time - be 1/2 log or 1/3... and they would light with newspaper. Air came from the basement. So the house could be tight. We always kept a draft going in the house - simply to help get out indoor pollution. I could take 20" but bought shorter to be easier.
                      Jumped in and inserted foot into mouth. Colewood burner is not a wood stove. It just cooks wood.

Being in Electronics for 65 years I have irons out my ears, some for wood burning and others metal and leather. I go from 20 watt to 500 watt monster (Black Beauty). I have to relocate one from the big shop as it is for wood. Old school but capable. The big black beauty was for soldering gutters (old school) and Electronic chassis amplifiers, transmitters and such.

Comment

Working...
                      X