Gotter done~my Lichtenberg Burner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotter done~my Lichtenberg Burner

I've been seeing these types of burn for a while and decided to take the plunge. Not being real experienced with electricity, I took my time and did quite a bit of research.

The basic unit consists of:
    1-Microwave Transformer
    1-20amp 110V Autotransformer Regulator Powerstat 0-130V Output~Wow, What a mouth full
    1-Toggle pilot light switch
    12'-12ga Silicone Wire High Temp Wire
    2-300 Amp Heavy Duty Copper Alligator Clips
    12"-1/4" Copper Rod

My first try, could wait, was the top I put on it to keep out of the transformer. . . .Pam wants me to do the kitchen table. She like the burn figures & said "besides we didn't pay that much for it . A lot of conveniences huh.

Anyway, my mind is chugging along with ideas to use it on. With the addition of 2-part epoxy & alcohol dyes, some pretty nice things I've seen. Order a small 4-wheel cart to move the darn thing around with, I don't know how much it weights, but it is heavy.
    This is stringing out so any C&C Welcomed

. . .JoeB

Very cool, Joe! I never heard of this, but had to watch a video. Looks like a lot of fun! Water and electricity, what could go wrong?!?

Comment

Is that ever neat! Story that somebody here in the valley does that and expects thousands $$$$ for each piece.
      I watched some video a while ago. Question? Wood species and quality. What matters the most?????
      Do you pick/brush out the burnt stuff or just let it go?
      Brian T

Comment

Sappy~Thank You, got some electrician gloves ordered, had a little tingle the other day
        Brain~Thank You, I have no experience, just what I've read, & I believe so. I used a wire brush to clean the burn area out.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks for posting that Joe and my son-law was talking to me about doing the same thing. I guess it has become a popular art form. Since my background is in electrical engineering he was interested in the nuts and bolts of the process and also had a microwave transformer technique in mind. Some very high voltage, so be careful. Not sure gloves will protect yourself at those higher voltages.

However, you did create some excellent work and glad it worked out. Well done and good post., Please update as things go along.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

you nailed it !!! impressive. did you use the baking soda / water mix to brush on? i had heard on the youtube that it is the deciding factor in the burn quality.
            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Outstanding look Joe, but seems to be very dangerous. Ii have seen it done on turned vases and plates, and it is a very cool look.
              But it seems like it could be like setting in an electric chair. Be careful.
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hi Joe , Very good look and as Tom said be careful. Merle

Comment

Story in the news last week of someone dying using one of those. His house was full of examples of his work, so he was fairly experienced, apparently.

The American Association of Woodturners will no longer allow fractally burned entries in their competitions.

Be careful.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bif; 02-04-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Saw the first one of these at a County Fair a couple of years ago. Was a 4-H project...very cool idea!

Comment

Bill~Thank You, as I understand it there is about 20,000V produced by the microwave transformer. the type II gloves are really expensive, I got a pair of class 0 coming.

Dennyt~Thank You, yes 1 cup of water & 1 teaspoon baking soda. According to my research that is the best electrolyte to use

Tom & Merle~Thank You, I sure hope so, but it is just intriguing to me to let pass

Brian~Thank You, I wonder why???? I was thinking about trying on leather, could be interesting.

Thank you all for the kind comments, just waiting for the cart to haul it around with, I can just see the cart=burner, electrolyte solution, wire brush, small fan, dust buster, wood bleach, polyurethane, & possible later 2-part epoxy, & dyes. Look like a gypsy traveling around--have burner, will travel
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Someone in my town died doing this too. He had done many pieces. Not worth the risk!

Comment

Thank you for the info. I realize how dangerous it is, but still got to try it
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Joe I can't say Lichtenberg Burning isn't COOL! But as a Licensed Electrician I would say please be careful! Also don't try this at home especially in my Home!

Comment

ya, you are not supposed to be touching things when ir after you throw the switch. i wonder if they frame some of the best looking ones for sale? been quite a while since i looked this up
                              Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X