How hot is too hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot is too hot?

I've been reading a lot about shading techniques and tips to use, etc... and everyone says to burn at a low temperature and build up multiple layers to darken. The question is.... when, then, do you use a high temperature?

Depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you're trying to create a photo-like image, then you need to layer with low heat settings. I turn the heat up a notch to detail bird feathers, another notch to burn separation lines between color areas prior to painting caricatures, etc., and another notch when I use the burner as a knife to remove material. Molly Winton takes burning to the extreme to texture her wood turnings. (see 1hr, 13min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CLD_Bc8xE
    ....Dave
    Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
    www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Hi
      I too am a newbie to pyrography so got on the internet to take a look at some tutorials. Take a look at "Pyrography made easy " and the work done by Brenda Wilkie. Amazing stuff.

In one of her tutorials she states that best results on a burner with a control of 1-10 is likely to be around 2.5-3.5. Going high on the scale causes the tips to go red hot which shortens tip life and will also cause really dark spots on the initial contact with the wood. After the initial contact with the wood the tip cools a little and colour is a lot more controlable.

Following her advice and methods of actually using the burner I got a reasonable image first time out with my new Razortip burner. ( made in Canada. )

Hope this helps. Have fun

Cheers
      ​​​​​​​ Glenn

Comment

Working...
      X