Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tbox61
    replied
    Simply stunning! What a wonderful project!

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    You bet it is . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Scrollcrazy
    replied
    Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
    Hi Becky , now I have another Question , sorry . When you say Cut and Prep. the Wood , do you mean Shaping and Sanding and why would that make you Cheap? I do that on all my Wood that I'm going to burn and I don't feel Cheap . You should get a Rich feeling when your Piece is finished that's for sure . Merle
    Thanks Merle! I feel better now. I really like the whole process of shaping, cutting, sanding... well, maybe not sanding so much lol. I just don't go out of my way to find exotic wood. Birch and maple ply works really well for me. Easy to cut and burn. This coffee table is actually a reclaimed piece. My husband has a friend that uses birch ply at his job and when it's time to get rid of it, if it doesn't look to bad, he brings it to me. That's the best kind of project in my opinion! Trash to treasure

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Becky , now I have another Question , sorry . When you say Cut and Prep. the Wood , do you mean Shaping and Sanding and why would that make you Cheap? I do that on all my Wood that I'm going to burn and I don't feel Cheap . You should get a Rich feeling when your Piece is finished that's for sure . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Scrollcrazy
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post

Your pyrography is superb and that is why I asked if you tried the Italian Poplar. When I was doing my Applied Pyrography newsletter and very active in the forums, a lot of people thought it was the best...and also maple. Many tried it and got it from cabinet makers as left over scrap...free or cheap. I've never tried it either but their work was excellent and they raved about it. It is lighter in color to regular poplar which I have burned also.

Of course one can burn on any wood, leather (vegetable tanned), antlers, nuts, etc., as you know.

Keep posting and I enjoy seeing your work. Nice for the eyes.
    Thank you Bill. I appreciate this forum so much. So many nice people and so much talent. I will definitely be on the lookout for Italian Poplar. It sounds wonderful. I think pyrographers are always looking for that "perfect surface"

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrollcrazy View Post

I don't know about Italian Poplar but, I've burned on Poplar a little bit. Really nice wood. I just can't find it in the sizes I need/want. When all this craziness is over with I'm going to check out a lumber yard I found out about. All I have near me is a big box store. Not the best selection.
    Your pyrography is superb and that is why I asked if you tried the Italian Poplar. When I was doing my Applied Pyrography newsletter and very active in the forums, a lot of people thought it was the best...and also maple. Many tried it and got it from cabinet makers as left over scrap...free or cheap. I've never tried it either but their work was excellent and they raved about it. It is lighter in color to regular poplar which I have burned also.

Of course one can burn on any wood, leather (vegetable tanned), antlers, nuts, etc., as you know.

Keep posting and I enjoy seeing your work. Nice for the eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Scrollcrazy
    replied
    A curious question, Becky, have you tried Italian Poplar?
    I don't know about Italian Poplar but, I've burned on Poplar a little bit. Really nice wood. I just can't find it in the sizes I need/want. When all this craziness is over with I'm going to check out a lumber yard I found out about. All I have near me is a big box store. Not the best selection.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    A curious question, Becky, have you tried Italian Poplar?

Leave a comment:

• Scrollcrazy
    replied
    Hi Merle. Great question. Basswood is the go-to, as you know, for pyrography. I love it but, I find I can get finer lines with birch or maple. They're harder woods for sure. They're grain is not as fine as basswood but, it's fine enough for detailed work. The shading is similar on all the woods. This is not to say that you can't get good detailing from basswood. It's a wonderful wood to burn on. And, it's always light colored. I have to be picky when it comes to birch and maple. I go thru ALL the sheets at the store! Haha. One more thing.... I'm really cheap! I cut and prep all my pieces. Much cheaper and because I really like the process. Sorry this really turned into quite a long post!

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Becky , got a Question if you don't mind . Can you get the same Great Detailing that you get on other Woods such as Basswood or do you do all your Burning on Birch or Maple ? Merle

Leave a comment:

• Scrollcrazy
    replied
    A gorgeous piece of work and the pyrography is superb, Becky. You must have great patience to do that type of burning...ever do any Celtic knot burnings?
    Thanks! I haven't done any Celtic knot burnings but, it's certainly on my list!

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    The pyro work is absolutely beautiful! Great idea (and execution) of the table, as well!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied
    That is a beautiful piece of furniture, the Birch gives such a nice two tone effect, and your burning is a masterpiece. Well done.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    OH WOW, What an incredible job. It has to give you a lot of satisfaction, I know if I could do something like this, I would have to sew new buttons on my shirt.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    A gorgeous piece of work and the pyrography is superb, Becky. You must have great patience to do that type of burning...ever do any Celtic knot burnings?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X