Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer

Title: For now calling it 'Deer' (Commission)
    Size: 8 1/2 wide x 28 Inches long
    Wood Type: Found

Hi All, got a chance to do a little pyrography and incising on some really dry wood. A friend of mine ask if I would burn something--like a deer on this wood he found at the 6,000 ft elevation on Mingus Mt. here in Arizona.
    As I hadn't burned anything in a while I jumped at the opportunity. I used a combination of woodburning and powercarving on the deer and landscape. I finished it using Deft spray varnish.
    The pattern is from Susan Irish's book 'Wildlife Carving in Relief'. I thought it a perfect fit, so I just enlarged it to size and transfered it to the wood using graphite paper. I didn't have a lot of time to do my own idea's and drawings so 'Thank you Susan' for being there when I needed you.
    Ice Cream As always I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Oh almost forgot if you look close there is a bullet hole just below the neck area of the forward deer.
    Kathy
    DeerWP1.jpgDeerWP2.jpg
    Last edited by Claude; 01-18-2017, 12:32 PM. Reason: Restoring photos to original p o s t

Re: Deer

What a beautiful job Kathy. I know your client will love it.

Nedra

Comment

Holy cow! urr Holy deer

What a great pyro. It is absolutely excellent, I bet you are proud. Your customer is very lucky, I would love to have a pc. of art like that.

Thank you for sharing Mottles,

Greg

Comment

Kathy, you brought that piece of Scrap Wood back to life. Those pieces of wood with caracture get your imagination working, and into a very nice piece of Art. As always good Job. Merle

Comment

Just beautiful! You have a nice feeling of sculpturing with the carving especially in the textuing in the grass area. The burn accents are storng, bold and wonderful!

What did you use for the coloring agent, the color is so pure and clean?

Susan
          Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
          LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
          CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Nedra, Greg, Merle, Susan, Thank you all very much for taking the time to look and comment. A lot of my work here lately has been with basswood. It felt really great to work with some found wood, less predictable. I'm not always sure what I'm going to get with each move. Susan I didn't use a coloring agent. After just gently skimming off the surface--that nice beige color was under the surface. Lucky me!
            I like the color variation between the dried gray and the undercolor. Not sure what kind of wood this is, but the backside is a reddest brown. Up on Mingus Mt. there is mostly several types of pine, juniper, cottonwood and aspen. I had to do quite a bit of wood removable of the backside, then applied several coats of Danish Oil.
            Thanks again,
            Kathy

Comment

Kathy....that is truly a gorgeous piece of artwork! I absolutely love what you did with it...the pyro is excellent and I'd just love to have this myself!! Cheers Bonnie

Comment

Kathy! That is drop dead gorgeous! Makes me want to start getting at some of the driftwood I brought back from the coast! Thank you so much for sharing that - it is absolutely inspiring and inspired!

Lindy

Comment

Mottles, great work and a fine piece of art for anyone's collection!

I'm into a walking stick out of huckleberry. Monkey holding both ends of the stick together. Putting all his little hair on with pyro. I like to combine the two, carving and pyrography. Semper Fi! pogerope

Comment

Beautiful piece of burning! Great sense of movement and energy in the scene.

Bob
                    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

A gorgeous combination of wood and pattern and skill. Way to go, Kathy!

Comment

Kathy, What a wonderful piece of art. I love the way you left some of the grey in the deer themselves. This is a piece you can be very proud of and I know the new owners will love it!
                        GaryMc

Comment

Kathy, Ya just keep on amazing us with your talent. AWESOME!

Comment

Bonnie, Lindy, Hollis, Bobb, Joy, GaryMc, Kenny
                            Ice Cream Thank you all, for looking and responding with such heart warming comments. I sure hope my client friend likes it as much as you all. I have created other work for him only in the form of a oil painting of their Search & Rescue dogs--all three of the dogs posed together. They were so pleased used a photo of the painting on their Christmas cards and jam label last year.
                            Ice Cream Well, again THANK YOU,
                            Kathy

Comment

Kathy, I also really like the colouring you achieved through the wood and the burning very nice. Also thought the bullet hole was interesting. I am sure the client will love it as much as we all did. Really like and appreciate your work. As was said before it is very inspiring. Will be watching for more of your work.

Comment

Working...
                              X