How to care for pyrography tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to care for pyrography tips?

Hello all, I’m just wondering if there is any specific way to take care of, clean, and extend the life of my pyrography tips. I’ve noticed as of late that my tips are seeming “dull” and not burning as hot after a few uses. I’m new to the hobby and just wondering what I can to to help upkeep my tips! Thanks in advance everyone!

I dress mine up on 1400 grit Emory Cloth . Merle

Comment

Agree with Merle, I keep a strip close by while burning, even put an edge on your tip
      . . .JoeB

Comment

I go even finer to 2000 grit and give them a wipe quite often. It takes only a couple of passes over the paper to get them back to shiny again.

Comment

When I burn very hot, carbon can build up quickly on your tip. I have a small mesh sink strainer on my table to knock the carbon off. Just a couple of swipes and it's good to go again. In between burnings, I use a 'cleaning cloth' I get from Colwood (I have a Colwood Detailer). It polishes up very nicely. I'm sure it would be similar to 1500-2000 grit
          The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls... Pablo Picasso
          Becky

Comment

I keep a piece of 2000 grit paper handy and give the tip a couple of rubs whenever it needs it. The biggest problem i have regarding the life of my tips, is trying not to drop the darn things .
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Yep fine grade sandpaper is what I use and it works great. Some will say it grinds the tip down quicker but that is not my experience.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Working...
              X