No announcement yet.

Hummingbird A4 size Pure burn no paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummingbird A4 size Pure burn no paint.

Hi Guys
    Another hummingbird but using a different method this time. In the past I had hard outlined the feather shapes which was kind of hard to feather out.

This time I just used the tracing pattern as a guide and used small fine burns to define the feathers.

Think it came out softer and more realistic this time.

I deviated from the original so the chest feathers were more clearly defined.

This was a copy of a drawing and yes I did pay the guy for the use of it . Was very reasonable actually.

Thoughts on how I can improve what I'm doing will be welcome. Having issues getting an even shading burn on the larger areas like the large wing feathers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 04-22-2021, 04:20 AM.

Very nice burning, Glenn and no doubt a softer look. Shading is everything in pyrography and no "hard" lines, although needed in some cases. Are you going to color it at all? Many use oil pencils, colored pencils, or ever acrylics however I always liked my burnings without color...purest approach.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Glenn , your Hand seems to Healing just Fine because you sure have a Lite Touch with the Heat Pen . Another Factor you put your Mind to and Mastered , Very Well Done . Merle

Comment

We have 5 different species of hummers here. From the littlest Calliope to the big Violet-chinned Mountain Hummer. Just me, but I'm always expecting flashes of brilliant, iridescent color such as from the male Rufous hummers in their screaming displays and fights.

I like the difference that pure contrast, pure pyro, brings to your bird.
        Leaves the coloring to the imagination.

Speaking of which, the male Rufous should be reappearing here in the valley by now. They fly down the west coast, turn left at San Francisco and winter over in Georgia and Louisiana. The winter bird banders get busy and birds are trapped again up here and bandings checked.
        Brian T

Comment

Maybe he should pay you for presenting his bird so well, maybe once I'm satisfied with my carving skills, I'll try and improve on my smoke making
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Bill
            Thanks for the nice comment. Am going to leave this one as a pure burn. I kind of like this one as it is. Thought you might like this one. hehe

Hi Merle
            never thought I would be able to make lifelike images as I can't draw to save my life but with a camera you dont have to. Just trace the photo and burn it. Am thinking of having a go at watercolour painting using graphite transfer paper under the printed picture to get the outline to paint to. Will be interesting.

Also want to carve a few hummers and paint them up with all their gorgeous colours. If one can do it to pyrography then painting up the carvings should be easy.

Hi Brian
            Yeah I like this one the way he is so no colour on this one. Am totally envious of your humming birds. Just love those little guys. 1.5 grams of totall attitude hehehe. We made 5 trips to USA for birdwatching the hummingbirds just made it for me. Went to the world bird santuary in Missouri 3 times at St Louis, Tucson, Portal, Cave creek, Sanora desert then up to Toronto and point pelee in Canada for the spring migration. Just loved it all.

Hi Joe
            Thanks buddy. Looking forward to seeing your smoke making efforts hehehehe.

Comment

Great job on the burning Glenn, very well done.
              Mark N. Akers
              My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Nice work!

Claude
                My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hi mark, Claude
                  Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Comment

That is a nice looking bird!

Comment

Hi Ferry 80
                      Thanks for the nice comment. Next project is a 60mm circle with 7 hummingbirds and 3 flowers on it Think it will take about 3 weeks to do this one. Then another week to paint it up with watercolour.

Comment

7 Hummingbirds...... that is what i call thinking big! Good luck, i like to dee the end result..

Comment

I think your pyro is good enough to depict individual species.
                          The smallest (and most timid) hummer we get here is the Calliope Humming Bird
                          with red & white striped gorget feathers.

Sorry, I have lost an entire folder of pix of the hummers roosting in my house vines during a storm.
                          Brian T

Comment

Hi Ferry 80
                            I will post progress as I go so you can see where it is at.

Hi Brian,
                            The calliope is quite stunning!! Thanks for the vote of confidence. It will be an interesting project as the board is birch so will be interesting to see how it burns. I don't know the names of a lot of the hummingbirds I picked for the project as I picked free images from upsplash. I got a couple of decent shots from my trips but they were not showing the details I wanted to get into this piece. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Comment

The Ruby-Throat is most common across western Canada.
                              Rare but we sometimes get Anna's this far north.
                              Mostly Rufous, hundreds and hundreds of those.
                              The little Calliope sneak in for a drink when the male Rufous don't beat them off.
                              Maybe for 2 weeks? the big Violet-chinned Humming Birds come down into the village from up in the mountains ( like 5 miles away!) They look almost black until they turn into the sun for a BIG flash of iridescent violet.

I must try to figure out how and where to put up a sugar/water feeder, that I can actually keep an eye on, during the days. I had to change my balcony so much in a rebuild that hanging a feeder out there just doesn't work any more.
                              Brian T

Comment

Working...
                              X