Pyrography exhibitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyrography exhibitions

Do you have a pyrography exhibition coming up in your area?

Do you know about any pyrography exhibition coming up in your area?

Comment

Public exhibitions of any type would require publicity. A computer search turns up info on books, items for sale, instructional videos, but no exhibitions. Sometimes pyrography is included with other crafts like woodcarving or gourd painting. All such public events have been seriously curtailed by the pandemic.

Comment

Yes Pallin, but in today's digital world pyrography experts and enthusiast need to find a platform where they show case their art to the public. This could be a well publicized online event and will help build interests in the art, provide a big stage for networking and sharing ideas, and accelerate development in pyrography.

Comment

Not sure where you are, but I did find this link that might be of help. https://workingtheflame.com/pyrography-classes/ Note: it is classes, not necessarily exhibits.

Comment

I agree with Phil big time on this issue. The arts in general have been seriously hurt in most places due to the pandemic. Most pro artists in computer artists with a degree are making a living in the arts like my niece she is making darn good money. People are still producing but the general population is not buying much art. Due to the fact, major inflation, a bad stock market, a bad business financial market, and a bad economy is taking their money for basic living. All this has not hit all parts of the US yet, it is slowly getting worst by the month. Just had a significant conversation about this with others....people are buying needs and not wants. Just my opinion you can make art for art's sake, but art in bad times is very little profit. We had tons of artists here bite the dust this year and no craft shows nothing sold or not enough to make a profit. Sign of bad times. Two of three wood shows have been closed down in the last three years. I do not see arts picking up in sales until we see a significant turnaround in the economy and a more normal life. In my book, the arts are dead in bad times.....which is normal in history books. Great to do a hobby, great to make art for art's sake you may sell a few, but the rest is gone as for now... this is the new normal.
            . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

The "art and collectibles market" has always been driven by the hope that things purchased might increase in value. That dream has been shattered by the rise of "fast buck investors" - the whole cryptocurrency fiasco, NFTs, etc. What is left are people who buy art because they like it and want to hang it on their wall or display it in the corner of their living room. There are still those of us who have a creative itch that needs to be scratched, and don't need any income from our efforts.

Comment

This whole discussion, particularly, the statement from Pallin, "There are still those of us who have a creative itch that needs to be scratched, and don't need any income from our efforts", rings the bell for me. I read a relevant quote yesterday that I was going to post on the forum today anyway, and this seems to be a great place for it: "Sometimes the process is more important than the outcome." I just can't relate to those who have no inclination to create, regardless how humble the results may be. Sure, the art/crafts market has crumbled; the same thing has happened to the market for antique clocks, but I continue to restore them...if I needed to create without spending a cent I'd end up making origami out of discarded magazines or something: Again, the process is the important part. Wow, this thread took a rapid zigzag from the initial post, lol!
                Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                  This whole discussion, particularly, the statement from Pallin, "There are still those of us who have a creative itch that needs to be scratched, and don't need any income from our efforts", rings the bell for me. I read a relevant quote yesterday that I was going to post on the forum today anyway, and this seems to be a great place for it: "Sometimes the process is more important than the outcome." I just can't relate to those who have no inclination to create, regardless how humble the results may be. Sure, the art/crafts market has crumbled; the same thing has happened to the market for antique clocks, but I continue to restore them...if I needed to create without spending a cent I'd end up making origami out of discarded magazines or something: Again, the process is the important part. Wow, this thread took a rapid zigzag from the initial post, lol!
                  Again I major agree with both of you. I make art because that is what I do, also I know if it is your favorite hobby you will do it even if it sells or no sells, all of it makes great gifts. This is also a great time to learn new things in wood carving. Like I told a new upcoming artist if you want to make money get a degree in computer art, and become the best then go work for Elon Musk. You want employers that are going into the space age today. Did you see the art the robots are making today??? unbelievable. Art will come back roaring but I do not think I will see it in my lifeline. Again just my opinion. I do think real art will be a rare bird, but because people see the value of human creation, it will once again have value. Earth is in a state of chaos of creation, and fast-changing these days... a good thing my head is attached to my body otherwise I may lose it.
                  I was told you want to be an artist then you may starve as a professional, and this happens to tons of artists, ....you do art because you have to. Guess what this came true this year.... lol...so be it, grandma lived in the great depression so can I. I know people who play music, do art, are actors and etc....it is a rough life, and many sleep in their car, eat peanut butter for food and rough it. Do what you love, it is not about the money.
                  Last edited by DiLeon; 01-07-2023, 03:15 PM.
                  . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Well articulated DiLeon, I completely agree Art will come back. I am just wondering if there's a cause of action that small groups like this or maybe larger groups can come together to forge a plan for this industry?

Comment

Working...
                    X