My Woodburnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Woodburnings

I hope I have finally figured out the uploading . Please let me know what you all think. Laura

Re: My Woodburnings

laura,

great work really like the welcome sign, good job

bart

Comment

Hi Laura, You have a nice touch with the Hot Pen. Merle

Comment

Nice burnings, I like them a lot!! Keep them coming.

Corey

Comment

Hi Laura,

Very nice burnings. I really like them and hope I'll get to your level one day.
          Ron T.
          http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Laura... Excellent work. Very professional. What kind of a burner are you using?

Comment

Some great burnings there! I love the wood, what is it?

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Squbrigg, Iowa Carver, Ron T, Eddy Smiles, Thanks for the very kind words about my work. I did the burnings with a Colwood Detailer. I just got the Colwood about a week ago. Before I used a craft burner from Walnut Hollow. I needed a good burner so I researched and bought a Colwood. It was expensive for me to take the jump...but I did and I am glad I did. The wood is cedar. My husband and I cut the wood in our yard. He gets the trees and we have a personal sawmill. I then take them and cut the wood , sand it and bring it into the house to do my work. From the tree to the finished product is done here at our home. The cedar splits so bad I have to be careful in cutting, that is why you see the slab(the bark still on) instead of cutting into shapes. Thanks Laura

Comment

That Cedar is gorgeous! Your burnings are super and the wood color and shape, sets them off delightfully. I envy you .... having your own sawmill and ready supply of Cedar like that. You must live on the West side of the continent, as that looks like big Red Cedar? Our house has BC Red Cedar shakes on the outside and I remember that dark/light effect of the contrasting heart wood/sap wood all over when it was first built. Beautiful!!! And the smell ....... even better!

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Dear Bob, I live about 3 hours from Atlanta, GA in a little town called Gibson, GA. Actually we llive between Atlanta and Augusta, GA. (Where they have the Masters golf tournament). There are NO BIG CHAIN STORES OR GROCERY STORES. The nearest Walmart is about 40 minutes from our home. We do enjoy our sawmill. The cedar is red and the smell is wonderful. I want to thank you and everyone else that has sent me replies. I now feel that my work is worthy of trying to sell. I have put 2 signs on ebay. Maybe they will sell. I hope I don't have them priced to high. I asked $45.00 plus $10.00 shipping. That shipping includes insurance. I did one for a lady with a rooster on it and when I mailed it to her.....someone decided that they needed it more than she did. I had to make her another one. I learned the hard way to get insurance. I have sold a few of my signs, but I would love to sell at least one a day. I WISH! Maybe one day. Thanks again for all the kind words. Laura

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Redfern View Post
                      I now feel that my work is worthy of trying to sell. I have put 2 signs on ebay. Maybe they will sell. I hope I don't have them priced to high. I asked $45.00 plus $10.00 shipping. That shipping includes insurance. Laura
                      No question here. It is worthy of selling, and many people will be buying them. Insurance is good, but you'll still end up making another one. Also, make sure there is heavy reinforced packaging on the outside with nylon strapping tape. I lost two item apparently because the package broke open and the PO couldn't take the time to find it.

Joggernot

Comment

Joggernot, Thanks for the info. I will be buying some nylon tape. Here is my latest burning. Hope yall enjoy!Laura

Comment

Hi Laura,

Very nice work & welcome to the Forum. I think it would be absolutely wonderful to produce your own wood like that and personally I like it with the bark still on. It adds a lot of character to the piece.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Lindy

Comment

Laura...

Good choice of burners. SMWC's up in Townsend, TN carries Colwood brand.

I've found that when you ship anything it's a good idea to include an identical shipping label on the inside of the pacakge that's on the outside. I've had stuff delivered by the Office that was totally removed from the original box and in one of their packaged parcels but it still made it because of the inside label.

I like your sign concept. Woodburnings at craft shows and festivals are a dime a dozen but I haven't seen many craft people combine them with sayings or use them as signs. I should think that there would be a good market for this kind of item, especially with the quality of work that you produce.

Comment

I also think it would be a dream to have a personal sawmill. Here I thought I was lucky that one of our club members had one. That is awesome Laura. My husband would really have a ball. I'd hardly ever get to see him except to feed him and for him to see if I was out of wood for burning. He would be very preoccupied but not enough to leave Momma left without wood to burn. LOL

I thought that was cedar. It is very pretty wood. Keep up the good work and enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X