Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrow is the Big Day

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the art of wood burning and wanted to come say hi. I registered a few days back and have learned alot in my research. I will be purchasing the Detail Master Saber tomorrow. I chose this model because of Wood Craft being a local store I can go to and pick it up. I will be picking up a pen with replaceable tips... but even with all my research I am still stumped. I gather I need to get some sort of a bent spear shader, a writing tip and an Awl. But I will be darned if I cant figure out the actual model number for these in the Detail Master line. I was wondering if anyone can chime in and help a newbie pick her tips. I am excited to get burning! And am glad I found a great community of people to be friends with. I will keep everyone up to date on how my first burn goes. Thanks again for all your help.

Jules

Re: Tomorrow is the Big Day

It sounds like you have done your research Jules, so have fun shopping tomorrow. Like all tools, you will never have enough.

Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hi Jules, welcome to the forum. I can't help you on model numbers for tips, but I can tell you that a writing tip, a shader and a skew chisel tip are about all you need to begin. That is what all the experts say. There are many specialty tips that you might find useful after you get into woodburning more.

Comment

Well, I am back from my shopping trip! I am now the proud owner of a Saber IV burner! I am armed with 3 tips and I handle. I think this will give me a good start. Wish me luck! I will start a new post with pictures for everyone to see and give critique. Thanks for the advice on what to start with.

Comment

That's great Jules, look forward to seeing some of your projects soon.
          Mark N. Akers
          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Hi Jules -- exciting time, huh? It sounds like you've become a "real" burner/carver. Have fun and show us what you do.

Comment

Jules,

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Comment

Hi Jules. welcome! I have the sabre, got it at woodcraft. I have one fixed tip pen and one replaceable tip pen for it.Mine aren't vented so they get a little warm fairly quick. I ended up purchasing a razortip create a tip pen with an adaptor to fit my sabre.I like the razortip pen alot better than the detail master pens.Plus I like making tips for it. I still use the detail master tips though. All in all I love my detail master unit. some pictures of your work/ play!
                My ETSY shop:
                https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Hi Jules and welcome. I always recommend a shader (bent spear is one that several burning companies now make); round-heeled knife and some kind of writer such as a small b all tip.

I don't think Detailmaster makes a bent spear shader but who knows maybe they do now. If not, find a shader that will allow you to get into tight spots. A round-heeled knife is a bit more versatile than a flat skew. I prefer a small ball tip for cursive writing but a fine writer will work too.

If you can't find a shader made by Detailmaster that you like I might suggest looking for a bent spear shader that will work on your burner. Unfortunately some will get too hot on a Detailmaster. You might try Colwood or Nibsburner which now made those bent spear shader's for me. You will have to get an adaptor to use on the Nibsburner but they will work. I don't recommend using an Optima or Razertip on a Detailmaster as the pens will get too hot.

Nedra

Comment

Hi, Jules. Hope you're having fun with your new burner. I have a Detail Master and have been trying out different pen tips. The 8A (or B or C depending on how large you want the tip) seems to be the nearest Detail Master tip to a bent spear shader. It is a shader with a bent, pointed end to be able to fit into corners. The 10A (or B or C) is the rounded heel knife skew, and the 3A is a thin skew with a rounded heel. I don't think they have a ball tip, but the 6A is a writing tip, and there is a 20B listed in one of my catalogs that is described as a fine writing tip (though I haven't actually seen one of those.)

Jim Widess's book Gourd Pyrography has a very nice pyrographic pen chart at the back that compares the tips for Razertip, Detail Master, Colwood, and Nibsburner. With the chart I can easily see that the Colwood J tip is comparable to a Detail Master 2A. The book also tells you what kind of burner and tip(s) the gourd artist used on the gourds illustrated in the book. You might check your local library to see whether they happen to have a copy.

I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Beth

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advice on what tips to pick out. I wound up going with th 3-A for fine lines, 6-A for Writing, and the 7-B for shading. The store I went to didnt have much of a selection, so this is what I am starting with. I am ready to buy some more tips now that I have an idea of what these will do. I mad a reference board for all the heat settings to help me along with color and patterns each produce. I have started my first burning and am going to attempt to put the picture on here so everyone can see what I am up to. A penny for everyones thoughts would be great. Sorry the picture is so big. I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller.

Comment

Working...
                      X