Burning without touching possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning without touching possible?

This question is to those who have burners with very high temperature setting (700 degree C and above):

Is it possible to set the heat very high and then burn wood with only the heat, without actually touching the burner tip to the wood?

If this is possible, does it give smooth shading?

Re: Burning without touching possible?

Not sure how you can burn without touching the wood but it would be an interesting experiment. I do it with a torch but then the flame actually does touch the wood.

If you decide to try it do so with a practice board so you can play with it and not worry about wasting a good piece of wood.

Nedra

Nedra

Comment

Nedra,

I hope you can do this experiment and show us the results.

Unfortunately I do not have a hot-wire tool to do this.

Conrad

Comment

I've seen some "no-touch" pyrography done with a burning lens but ya gotta be in a sunny spot!

Al

Comment

Sorry Conrad, I was suggesting you try it. I don't have the time....or the inclination. And frankly I wouldn't use my good detail burners (hotwire) at such high settings. When I want a really hot burn I use my craft style burner that burns at 1050 degrees(30 Watt Wall Lenk). It has thicker copper tips that can withstand constant high heat without burning out the pen or ruining the tips. If you have a craft burner experiment with that.

Al is correct the only "no touch" I am aware of is called solar burning and it's done with a magnifying lens that catches the sun. There is a member of my pyrography forum that uses this technique. IT's interesting but it's not something that ever interested me. I'm strictly conventional when it comes to burning.

Nedra

Comment

Nedra,
            I will try this out when I get a 'real' burner.
            Solid point burners like the one I use don't get very hot. As far as I know Wall Lenk craft burners heat up to 1050 degrees F. which is only about 565 degrees C and not enough for burning without contact. A burner like the Peter Child machine heats up to 1000 degrees C. just like other burner/cable combinations which are meant for gourd work.

Comment

Working...
            X