My first try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first try

Ok. So I started my first piece! Its not great, but I have decided I really like my new hobby. I posted the picture on my other post. The name of the post is "Tomorrow is the Big day" If anyone could take a peak and let me know what you think that would be great.

Re: My first try

Ok. I attached the picture here to make it easier to find. Comments are welcome. Does anyone have any inside secrets on how to avoid getting that hot spot from the tip every time you set your pen into motion on the wood?

Comment

Nice job for a first try, Jules. Susan (Lora) Irish has a fantastic book called "Great Book of Woodburning" you can get at Great Book of Woodburning - Pyrography Techniques, Patterns and Projects for all Skill Levels that I found is a real help with technique.

Comment

Nice going for a first try. It's somewhat addictive, isn't it? Susan (Lora) Irish and Nedra Denison both tell you in their books to keep your pen moving to avoid the blobs. They liken it to a plane coming in for a landing - have your pen moving when you gently touch down on the wood to burn your line. Take your pen off the wood the same way. Also, even with a variable temperature pen, it's often more effective to get your darker colors by going back over an area at the same temperature or slowing down your movement than by turning up your temperature. If you haven't already done so, you should read over Susan Irish's tutorials on this member board. Her Winter Birdhouse tutorial and her Acorn tutorial are both packed with useful information and great pictures of a work in progress.

Thanks for posting your first attempt. I look forward to seeing more of your work as you keep learning and developing your style.

Beth

Comment

Jules,

Nice first attempt. Beth has given you some very good advice and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

I strongly suggest that you read the thread by Susan Irish on the Acorn tutorial, then practice, practice and practice. I read that tutorial and gained some great insight into burning.

Comment

It's just wonderful! I don't have too much experience burning, but the advice you got was good!
            My ETSY shop:
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

great job on your first try. Keep up the good work and keep on wood burning.

Comment

Hi, Jules! Very cute first piece. I love fairies and I like to burn flowers too. Now it is just a matter of playing and getting use to the pens and the strokes, getting the feel for it, in a word practice. Before you know it you will be an ole' pro at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules_W View Post
                  Ok. So I started my first piece! Its not great, but I have decided I really like my new hobby. I posted the picture on my other post. The name of the post is "Tomorrow is the Big day" If anyone could take a peak and let me know what you think that would be great.
                  Looks like you are on your way Jules!!!

Comment

Very nice first.

What helped me was Al Chapman's book, "Learning the Art of Pyrgraphy"

Here is a link to some more of his works as well.

Pyrography by Al Chapman, E-Zine

Great mentor either way.

Keep that iron hot.

Comment

Working...
                    X