Project in the works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project in the works...

Very nicely done, newbie, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2552 View Post
      Carver,

I just use the shader(I have colwood super pro II) at level 3 and 4 heat (sometimes 5 for very dark stuff) and just do the best I can to make it look like the picture I am working from. I just got a better camera, and I will try and take better pictures. I have been using my phone as my camera, and it has no zoom on it.

I use the shader for 99% of my work, and a ball point for the other 1%. I use a blend of circular motion with the shader, to just back and forth motion with it.

That's the best I can explain it. If you don't know what I am saying I will try and make a video of how I do it sometime.

Thanks for your compliments,

Travis
      Hey Travis,

Sorry - I missed your response - I've been pretty busy lately, and I hope to have something to post soon.

Yep, I think I understand. I'm going to have to give it a try. I currently use the pens in the opposite proportion, about 95-98 percent ball an the rest with the shader. I like some of the areas where you get a much more stark contrast than I usually end up with.

Still looking forward to those close up though.

Comment

I forgot about taking the close ups. WHOOPS!

Comment

Comment

Hi, Travis!

I can't rightfully call you newbie anymore as was said before. You are so beyond newbie it isn't even funny. I'd say if that's the results you get I would stick with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I can't believe you get that with the ball tip. But that is probably cause I'm a shader person too. Maybe I should switch to the ball more often. lol What size ball do you use?

I was wondering if you could explain a little on how you get the folds and wrinkles in the different fabrics. That is one of the things I've been trying to learn teach myself and it not going so well so far. I would appreciate it very much.

Again fantastic piece. Now you just need to do a follow up.... of the baby.

Comment

Teeburn, Thanks for the kind compliments.

The only two pens I own are the shader and ball point pen(i think it is a .1 mm). I bought another one for straight lines when I bought my Colwood, but the first week I was using that one, I went to use it, and the tip was all twisted. I have no idea what happened to it. Anyway, back on topic.

On this piece, the only time I used my ball point was to get the general shape of the hair on the woman's hair. Once I got that down with the ball point, I didnt like the results of it, so I used the shader, and the side of the shader and it turned out a little better. So basically 99.9% of this burning is done by the shader.

As for the wrinkles, I first draw out the general shape of them with a pencil, and then study the wrinkles very closely. The wrinkles are by far the hardest things I have ever burned. I had to totally sand down the wrinkles around her armpit and start over. Anyway, once I dissected the shape of the wrinkles, I would do the darkest part of the wrinkles first. Then lightly shade out until I got to the "main color(or shade)" of the shirt she is wearing. I don't know really how to explain it. I honestly just fool around with it until I get it to look like the picture at least a little bit.

Here is the picture I am working from...
              My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 9 of 38 by JJ Heller - MySpace Photos

Anyway, that's the best I can explain it. I hope it's good enough?

Travis

Comment

Travis,

Thanks for the details and follow up - fantastic work. I really like the way you've been able to bring out the detail in the dark material. It's a little difficult (for me at least) to get this dark with the ball tip. I usually turn to the shader for darker colors.

I use pretty much the same technique for wrinkles, except using the ball tip. The only thing I do differently is do an overall light shading to establish the highlight color. I initially make all of the wrinkles with bright sharp highlights, then gradually darken most until they look right to me, some being lighter in the direct light, gradually getting darker in areas that receive less light.

Tina,

As Travis, said, study the wrinkles closely. You'll notice that generally the dividing line between light and dark is pretty sharp on the light side and fades to dark more gradually on the side away from the light.

btw: I recently modified a "J" tip by bending it to replicate a smaller shader with less of a bend than the provided shader tip. This allows me to hold the pen at a flatter, more natural angle to get thinner shaded lines. It works GREAT for burning hair.

Comment

Working...
                X